Getting started

Who can apply?

Students who:

  • are on a full time undergraduate degree programme
  • will be in their second year during the exchange period
  • have the option to take one semester modules as part of their degree
  • maintain a B grade average
  • can plan a flexible programme of study that covers the equivalent of their intermediate level core modules to a sufficient extent to have the prerequisites for study on their return

Please note that there are some restrictions by degree subject - usually host institution specific.  More information can be seen on each partner information page.

Where can I go?

You can apply to go to any institution with which we have a bilateral exchange link - provided your degree is appropriate. Please see our partner universities section for information about each of our links. The majority of our exchanges are in North America and are not subject specific. However, exceptions do apply, for example our University of the West Indies exchange and Kansai Gaidai exchange are largely for students from certain degree courses.

When can I go?

  • In your second year you have the option of going to the USA, West Indies and Japan
  • In the first semester of your third year Japan may be a possibility depending on your course
  • Spring semester is only possible in the USA and West Indies if your course has no examinations in January, you must have coursework only due to term dates

For how long can I go?

  • Overseas exchanges to the USA and West Indies are for one semester only
  • Full year may be possible to Kansai Gaidai as the grades are returned, provided there are sufficient modules available in your subject area

Will my exchange grades count towards my degree?

For the majority of exchange partners, you will have credit recorded without marks for modules taken overseas. Provided you plan your programme carefully, this will not extend your degree or affect the class of degree gained. The exception is Kansai Gaidai as your grades are returned.

How do the finances work?

  • Students continue to pay tuition fees to London Metropolitan University
  • No tuition fees are payable to the host university
  • Students should still receive any loans and grants as the exchange is a part of the degree (this can be confirmed to Student Finance England if necessary)
  • Students are responsible for the following costs:

    • English test fees (if TOEFL or IELTS requirements apply, see partner info)
    • visa application and SEVIS fees - $340 - $360 USD depending on visa status
    • room & board - approx $3,000 - $5,500 USD
    • books and supplies - $500-$600 USD
    • travel to and from host country
    • travel, health and medical insurance - $400 - $450
    • personal expenditure - $3,000

    All costs are estimated and may be greater or less than stated.  You should budget for between £5k-£7k. This may seem very expensive but students generally find that the exchange semester is not much more expensive than a semester spent in London.

How do I get started?

  • Check with your course leader whether an exchange would be possible as part of your degree course 
  • Research our partner universities - you must find one which offers courses suitable for your degree
  • Think about finances - will this work for you?
  • If you wish, request an appointment via email ( Make sure you have done some preliminary research first.
  • If you have the support of your tutor - apply!