Module selection guidance

We offer our study abroad students a diverse range of modules on either a semester or year-long basis. You can find the modules we offer in our module lists, which are categorised by subject area. Each module listed links through to the relevant page in our online module catalogue where you can find out more about the module content, as well as assessment methods and reading lists. The module pages will also list any prerequisites you must fulfil in order to take the class.

Please ensure you read the information on this page carefully before choosing your modules. 

Academic credit

Credit from London Metropolitan University is transferred back to your home university as one of the following:

  • UK credits (15 per module)
  • US credits (3 per module)
  • European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System credits (ECTS) (7.5 per module)

Students take four classes per semester and receive a transcript of results upon completion of the semester or year. Our courses have received top marks from the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency and many are accredited by a wide range of professional bodies, giving your qualification extra weight. We are also one of only three universities in the UK with US Middle States accreditation.

Modules at London Met are taught either over a full year or a semester. Modules that are taught over a year usually run from late September/early October to May and are worth 30 credits. These are usually followed by examinations. Modules that are taught over a semester are worth 15 credits. Modules that run in the autumn semester are typically assessed through coursework and end in January, while modules that run during the spring are normally assessed through examinations.

Unfortunately our art, architecture and design school The Cass does not offer semester-long modules, so if you wish to take modules in these subjects you will need to be studying with us for a full year.

Many first-year modules also last for a full year so there will be very little provision for semester students to take first-year modules. Some of our academic schools offer you the opportunity to take half of some year-long modules as well as semester-long modules. If the possibility does exist to take half a year-long module you must check in which semester it will be offered (autumn, spring or both) and whether the syllabus being taught in that semester will be relevant to you. 30-credit modules offering the option to leave or arrive halfway through will be indicated with the letters A or S (meaning autumn or spring) in the module code.

You will need to take four modules per semester, which is the equivalent of 30 ECTS or 12 US credits. If you are only staying for a semester, you will need to check that the possibility exists to take four single-semester modules.

If you are an Erasmus student, your module choices should be from the department that has an Erasmus link with your home university.

Please note: Spending the final semester of your degree at London Met requires careful consideration as you may not receive your results in time to graduate at your home university at the end of your semester abroad.

Time slots

Please pay particular attention to when each module is taught as you will not be able to take modules that are being taught on the same day at the same time. For example, if two modules run on a Wednesday afternoon, you'll only be able to study one of these. Time slots are given instead of actual class times and are as follows:

  • am (classes occurring between 9am and 1pm)
  • pm (classes occurring between 1pm and 6pm)
  • pm+ (classes occurring between 6pm and 9pm)

Please note that changes to the timings of classes may occur and occasionally modules are cancelled. Your seminar may not follow your lecture directly – it could take place before or after your lecture or even on a different day. Seminar groups are allocated automatically and cannot be chosen.

Study levels

There are three different module levels:

  • C – Certificate level – first-year modules (codes will include **4***)
  • I – Intermediate level – second-year modules (codes will include **5***)
  • H – Higher level – third-year modules (codes will include **6***)

You can study modules at any of these levels as long as your home university approves the choice and you have already covered the material taught in any prerequisite modules listed.

There are prerequisites for some modules. Where possible you should have completed a similar course to that prerequisite at your home university. If a prerequisite is not stated it does not mean that the module is open to everyone. Second and third-year classes assume that the first (and second if applicable) year has been spent studying that subject. Therefore, if you are looking at second and third-year modules you must have a significant amount of experience in that subject area. If you are from an American or Japanese university, please bear in mind that second-year classes in your home country are equivalent to first-year modules in the UK.

Module restrictions

If your home university agrees to credit transfer and you meet the prerequisites, you can take most of the modules on offer. However, there are some that:

  • are only available if you are studying here for a full year
  • are off limits - these are classes that are based around placements or are part of an accredited degree and therefore are not open to study abroad students including architecture, early years teaching and social work courses. Similarly, postgraduate modules such as those with a module code that includes **7*** (eg EC7015) and foundation modules with a module code that includes **3*** (eg MN3102) are also unavailable
  • require approval - these are classes that we may be able to place you in if you major or minor in this area but we need to seek departmental approval on a case by case basis. This includes modules in our art, architecture and design school The Cass, some third-year practical multimedia classes, some maths modules (those with codes beginning in MA) and computing modules (those with codes beginning CC, CS, CT or CU) and health and human sciences modules
  • are very difficult – study abroad students have struggled in the past with our accounting law and business law courses as there is significant emphasis on English law. If you are interested in taking classes in these areas please email us for advice