You can bring certain family members to the UK as your Tier 4 dependant only if either:

  • you are doing a postgraduate level course (RQF Level 7 or above) of 9 months or longer at a Higher Education Institution or 
  • you are sponsored by your government and your course is full-time and longer than six months or 
  • you are a Doctorate Extension Scheme student or
  • your current or most recent immigration leave was as a Tier 4 (General) student on a full-time course longer than six months and all of the following apply:

1. your permission is current or expired no more than three months before this immigration application AND

2. your new immigration application is for a full-time course that is longer than six months AND

3. your dependant already has Tier 4 dependant or 'student' dependant immigration permission (or it is the most recent immigration permission that they had, and it expired no more than three months before this application) AND

4. you apply for immigration permission at the same time as your dependant

  • You must already have your Tier 4 (General) immigration permission, or you must be applying for it in the same country where your dependant is making their application, at the same time as them.

Family members (dependants) are any of the following:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner
  • your unmarried or same sex partner
  • your children aged under 18

Please note, dependants who are allowed to work can take any type of employment or self-employment, except:

  • they must not work as a professional sportsperson, such as sports coach 
  • a partner must not work as a doctor or dentist in training (although there are some special exemptions to this, described in paragraph 319D(b)(iii) of the Immigration Rules)

You should carefully read the Guidance for dependants of UK Visa holders for full details .   

If you are eligible to bring your family with you to the UK as your dependants please read this UKCISA information for further details of how they can apply - Dependants

Home Office UK Visas and Immigration information on dependants can be found on the website.