Health and Social Care Extended Degree - BSc (Hons)

Add to my prospectus Why study this course? More about this course Entry requirements Modular structure What our students say After the course How to apply Meet the team Visit us

Why study this course?

If you're interested in a career in the health and social care sector, this extended degree develops the skills and knowledge you need to succeed. The extended degree route is ideal if you don’t have traditional qualifications or can't meet the entry requirements for the degree level Health and Social Care BSc (Hons). It will support you to develop the confidence, knowledge and skills required for a career in the health and social care sector. This course is delivered in partnership with City and Islington College.

More about this course

The foundation year focuses on developing your academic and study skills, enabling you to take on the challenge of a degree with confidence.

Underpinned by current research, the course is informed by expected changes in the UK healthcare sector, including advances in healthcare technology, the UK's ageing population, quality concerns and the rising cost of providing healthcare.

Learning from expert teaching staff who are actively involved in research, you will acquire skills in observation, enquiry and critical analysis. As you progress, you will cover public health, health promotion, policy and ethical aspects of care, developing your ability to use evidence to inform your decisions.

All teaching is held at London Metropolitan University's Holloway campus. The foundation year is delivered by teaching staff from both City and Islington College and London Metropolitan University, with subsequent years delivered by teaching staff from London Metropolitan University.


You'll be assessed through seen examinations, short answer papers, practical reports and reviews, case studies, group assessment projects, presentations, essays and health profiles.

Fees and key information

Course type
UCAS code L502
Entry requirements View

This course is subject to validation.

Apply now

Entry requirements

In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you should have:

  • at least one A level (or a minimum of 40 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC/Subsidiary/National/BTEC Extended Diploma)
  • GCSE English Language at grade C (grade 4) or above (or equivalent)

If you are a mature student with significant work experience, you are invited to apply for this course on the basis of the knowledge and skills you have developed through your work.

All applicants must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. Applicants who require a Tier 4 student visa may need to provide a Secure English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS. For more information about English qualifications please see our English language requirements.

Modular structure

The modules listed below are for the academic year 2017/18 and represent the course modules at this time. Modules and module details (including, but not limited to, location and time) are subject to change over time.

Year 0 modules include:

  • Reflecting on Self and Society (core, 15 credits)
  • Researching Discrimination (core, 15 credits)
  • Social Issues in Context: Text to Essay (core, 15 credits)
  • Researching Inequality (core, 15 credits)
  • Principles of Health and Social Care Practice (core, 30 credits)
  • Person Centred Care Approaches to Health and Social Care (core, 30 credits)

What our students say

"Great teaching team with the willingness to support students to achieve results and to have an impact on the community. Again, the course is current and highly relevant to the health and social care industry. It has good job prospects in both private and public sectors. For example, I have been able to secure a work placement with a reputable NHS institution through the course-related job and employability fairs organised by the university for students."
Health and Social Care BA (Hons) graduate

After the course

Year 0 is designed to provide a perfect foundation for your progression to the Health and Social Care BSc (Hons) degree. Students can also move on to the University’s Health and Social Policy BSc (Hons).

Successful completion of your degree offers excellent career opportunities in the fields of health and social care. This may be within the NHS, voluntary or independent sectors. Our graduates have found careers in mental health and medical rehabilitation, and as support workers in the NHS, housing associations and charity organisations.

What is an extended degree?

Extended degrees provide applicants with an alternative route into higher education. If you do not have traditional qualifications or cannot meet the entry requirements for an undergraduate degree, you may still be able to gain entry by completing an extended degree. Extended degrees include a Year 0, which is also known as a foundation year. Once you successfully complete your first year of study you will progress into Year 1 of an undergraduate degree.

Additional costs

Please note, in addition to the tuition fee there may be additional costs for things like equipment, materials, printing, textbooks, trips or professional body fees.

Additionally, there may be other activities that are not formally part of your course and not required to complete your course, but which you may find helpful (for example, optional field trips). The costs of these are additional to your tuition fee and the fees set out above and will be notified when the activity is being arranged.

Unistats - key information set

Unistats is the official site that allows you to search for and compare data and information on university and college courses from across the UK. The widget(s) below draw data from the corresponding course on the Unistats website. If a course is taught both full-time and part-time, one widget for each mode of study will be displayed here.

How to apply

If you're a UK/EU applicant applying for full-time study you must apply via UCAS unless otherwise specified.

UK/EU applicants for part-time study should apply direct to the University.

Non-EU applicants for full-time study may choose to apply via UCAS or apply direct to the University. Non-EU applicants looking to study part-time should apply direct to the University. If you require a Tier 4 (General) student visa, please be aware that you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.

When to apply

The University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) accepts applications for full-time courses starting in September one year before the start of the course. Our UCAS institution code is L68.

If you will be applying direct to the University you are advised to apply as early as possible as we will only be able to consider your application if there are places available on the course.

You may also like...