Community Development and Leadership - BSc (Hons)

Add to my prospectus Why study this course? More about this course Entry requirements Modular structure What our students say Where this course can take you How to apply

Why study this course?

Are you interested in working with people and local communities? Do you see yourself as a future leader? Are you looking for a fulfilling career? If so, this could be the course for you.

Our Community Development and Leadership BSc (Hons) degree focuses on social concerns affecting communities and individuals. This course is also validated by two professional bodies, the Endorsement and Quality Standards Board for Community Development Learning and the Chartered Institute of Housing.

Our graduates work in a range of roles in the public sector eg councils and the NHS, the private sector and the third sector eg non-for-profit organisations including charities, voluntary and community groups.

This course scored highly in the National Student Survey 2021, recieving a 96% score for teaching on the course, 97% for learning opportunities, 96% for assessment and feedback, 92% for academic suport, 96% for organisation and management, plus an overall satisfaction score of 96%.

More about this course

Community is a powerful medicine. The growth of food banks, the response to the Grenfell tragedy, the Black Lives Matter movement and the challenges of COVID have all demonstrated the power of community. By working together we can challenge inequality and social injustice.

If you’re looking for a fulfilling career in social justice, this could be the perfect degree for you. Whether you’re a school leaver or if you’ve been working with communities already and want to return to education, we welcome your application. We’ll develop your employability and leadership skills, and engage you in cutting-edge academic and research skills.

Our Community Development and Leadership BSc course provides a comprehensive view into issues that affect communities and look at how we can address them. It’s linked to degrees in social work and youth studies to offer a wide range of learning experiences and job opportunities.

This course is perfect preparation if you’re interested in working with diverse communities, including Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups, LGBT+, transnational communities, as well as vulnerable groups, such as homeless people, people with disabilities, refugees and asylum seekers. We work closely with local people so you’ll learn about the issues directly affecting urban communities and have opportunities to resolve them.

You’ll investigate the principles of community work and develop the necessary skills and competencies to practise in the community. As well as this, you’ll look at how differences in culture and identity affect the opportunities of individuals, addressing the causes of inequality and investigating the challenges and opportunities of living in a diverse society.

We’re proud that our students come from all over the world, with many who have their own families and are returning to education.

Teaching is currently timetabled for approximately two days per week so that you have time to carry out independent academic work and gain work experience through placement opportunities.

We place focus on developing transferable employability skills, which is why you’ll have the opportunity to complete a mini placement in your second year and a longer placement in your final year.

Employers from the sector will also provide guest lectures, giving you an opportunity to learn about the practical aspects of working in this field and find out what skills and experience employers are looking for.

There are also opportunities to progress to postgraduate studies. There are many postgraduate courses available to further your aspirations, including the Social Work MSc and the Youth and Community Work (with JNC Recognition) MSc, both of which are professionally recognised.


You’ll be assessed via essays, individual projects and a dissertation. The focus of the assessments will be to combine your academic work with reflection on practical elements of the course. There will be no examinations.

Professional accreditation

Our degree is endorsed by the Endorsement and Quality Standards Board as a professional qualification for community development work. It is also validated by the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH). Free student membership of the CIH is available to students choosing the two housing options in year three.

Fees and key information

Course type
UCAS code L800
Entry requirements View
Apply now

Entry requirements

In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you should have:

  • a minimum of grades BBC in three A levels (or a minimum of 112 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification eg BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Progression Diploma or Access to HE Diploma of 60 credits)
  • English Language GCSE at grade C/grade 4 or above (or equivalent)

You’re welcome to apply as a mature student if you’ve passed appropriate access courses or have appropriate work experience. We also welcome those without formal qualifications who can show enthusiasm, commitment and the ability to benefit from higher education.

If you don’t have traditional qualifications or can’t meet the entry requirements for this undergraduate degree, you may still be able to gain entry by completing our Community Development and Leadership (including foundation year) BSc (Hons).

Accreditation of Prior Learning

Any university-level qualifications or relevant experience you gain prior to starting university could count towards your course at London Met. Find out more about applying for Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL).

English language requirements

To study a degree at London Met, you must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. If you require a Student visa you may need to provide the results of a Secure English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS. For more information about English qualifications please see our English language requirements.

If you need (or wish) to improve your English before starting your degree, the University offers a Pre-sessional Academic English course to help you build your confidence and reach the level of English you require.

Modular structure

The modules listed below are for the academic year 2021/22 and represent the course modules at this time. Modules and module details (including, but not limited to, location and time) are subject to change over time.

Year 1 modules include:

  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Thursday morning
    • all year (January start) - Tuesday afternoon

    This module examines the changing pattern of households and family life, work and employment, with a particular emphasis on differences in cultures and identities and how these interlink with social divisions. It addresses causes and patterns of inequality, and the opportunities and challenges of living in a super diverse society.
    The module includes significant elements of study skills development, orientation to the university and the expectations of the university and course. The study skills element is embedded in the provision of the module.
    The module is taught over 30 weeks and is assessed by a workbooks and an essay.

    Aims of the module
    This module aims to:
    1. Introduce students to university life and to the expectations of the course and academic life.
    2. Identify changing patterns of households, family life, work and employment.
    3. Explain differing patterns on inequality and the socio-political perspectives to issues of community, culture, multiculturalism, social exclusion and social cohesion.
    5. Develop student skills in retrieving information, academic writing and presenting information to a range of audiences.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Tuesday morning

    This module introduces ideas concerning self-leadership through personal development planning (PDP) activities and peer supported learning. Students work on personal target setting, self-review and reflection to examine issues of concern to themselves and to various communities.
    Self-leadership as a basic and pivotal component of leadership is introduced and various aspects of it are explored throughout the year. Specific attention is given to authentic leadership and equality, diversity and the development of inter-personal skills that support the learning process in group contexts. This includes opportunity for students to reflect upon the ways in which adults develop and work together for common aims. Students are encouraged to identify ways in which self-leadership strengthens community work and can promote individual learning and reflection.

    Aims of the module: what key skills and knowledge will it enable students to develop?

    1. To develop learners’ ability to engage in self-assessment exercises, Personal development planning and reflective techniques in relation to working with individuals and groups in the community;
    2. To enable the learners to explore the links between self-leadership, leadership and community work;
    3. To support the students to develop a community initiative;
    4. To develop skills in finding and presenting information;
    5. To explore the inter-relationships between public , voluntary and community sector organisations;
    6. To enable learners to locate key sources for studying public service delivery and the opportunities for individuals and groups to influence decision making;
    7. To enable learners to appreciate the diversity and changing nature of voluntary and community sector organisations;
    8. To promote the use of Community Development National Occupational Standards (CD NOS) in their work and study.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Tuesday afternoon
    • all year (January start) - Monday afternoon

    - Analyse the social construction of a social problem
    - Collate information on the location and scale of a social problem
    - Reflect upon sociological interpretations of a particular social problem
    - Outline policy responses to a particular social problem

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Thursday afternoon

    This module aims to:
    1. Introduce students to the principles of community work, drawing on national occupational standards;
    2. Explain the history of community work and the current policy context;
    3. Outline the opportunities and challenges of regenerating communities and areas;
    4. Explain key concepts such as empowerment, participation, social justice and sustainability; and
    5. Enable students to critically reflect on their own work practice

    Read full details

Year 2 modules include:

  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Tuesday morning

    This module examines the core concerns of recent social policy initiatives. Over recent decades, persistent inequalities in British society led to a focus on ‘joined-up’ thinking and the re-conceptualisation of these inequalities as ‘social exclusion’. A range of community-based projects lay at the heart of promoting ‘social inclusion’ and social cohesion. The core values of this approach are embodied in the National Occupational Standards for Community Development Work, promotion of community empowerment through a concern for people’s rights as citizens, the need for social justice and an understanding of our rich and diverse society. In the context of Brexit, recent government rhetoric extols the virtue of voluntarism and “shared society” that respects the “bonds of family, community, citizenship and strong institutions” in their policies and practices. This module will offer the opportunity to evaluate emerging policy developments in this area.

    This module sets the present concerns and processes in an historical and academic context. We look back to the struggles of the Civil Rights movement during the 1950s and 1960s and the impact this made worldwide. We consider some of the political debates which underpin discussions of rights, social justice and equality. More recent debates concerning the processes of globalisation and its relationship with citizenship will be considered before moving locally to the UK to consider changes in our approaches to inequalities.

    Aims of the module. This module aims to:
    1. introduce students to competing ideas of social justice
    2. locate current debates about human rights and citizenship in their historical context
    3. examine inequality and diversity in the context of recent legislation and
    4. look at current approaches to social justice using the examples of the work place and community development work and
    5. link philosophical approaches with current policy and practice

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Wednesday morning

    The module aims to:
    1. Introduce students to the key processes for the management of community and youth organisations.
    2. Provide opportunity for students to recognise professional, cultural and ethical aspects of leadership and management.
    3. Develop students understanding and awareness of the issues of managing in community organisations by means of case-study analysis.
    4. Encourage students to reflect on their capabilities as a manager and leader.
    5. Provide analytical skills in the context of a structured engagement with work environment

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Tuesday afternoon

    This module will introduce research and specially applied research to students from Community Development and Leadership and Youth Studies areas. Students will be introduced to the research process and research knowledge and skills relevant to professional and academic development. These research principles will provide a foundation for understanding approaches to social research, community profiling and evidence based practice and research design. It will introduce research methods and the basics of preparing a research proposal on themes related directly to community and youth work. It will further focus on how to decide the appropriateness of different research approaches in a variety of environments.

    Aims of the module
    The aims of the module are to:
    1. provide a foundation for understanding approaches to social and community research and evidence based practice;
    2. facilitate the development of research skills and knowledge for professional and academic development with a focus on community and youth work;
    3. provide students with a practical understanding of doing primary social research and understanding their underlying philosophies;
    4. explore the design and organisation of research approaches;
    5. examine a range of participatory, ethnographic and other methods of data collection and analysis;
    6. reflect on ethical and cultural issues inherent in doing social research;
    7. contextualise research within Community Development National Occupational Standards (CD NOS) and National Occupational Standards for Youth Work.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • autumn semester - Wednesday afternoon

    The module enables the students to develop an understanding of global migration and economic, political structures and socio-cultural impact on diverse communities in Britain. It examines some of the rapidly changing migratory patterns and emergence of new refugee and migrant communities. It explores the theoretical underpinnings of the hotly contested political debate for and against multiculturalism in Western democracies. The module tackles questions of whether and how it is possible to develop a sense of belonging in a culturally diverse society. It enables the students to develop a critical understand of the emerging cultures and communities in Britain and examine some of the changes which have taken place as a result of the global migration and technological innovation.

    Module aims:
    1. To provide students with the opportunity to explore and critically analyse the current migratory changes in contemporary Britain.
    2. To familiarise students with debates on multiculturalism, transnationalism and citizenship
    3. To enable students to identify the nature and context of challenges posed by societal change and diversity for integration, social cohesion and community development in contemporary Britain.
    4. To enable the learners to critically reflect on their learning and relate the wider socio-economic and cultural contexts to their everyday experience and community development work.

    Not to be taken by Study Abroad students

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • spring semester - Wednesday afternoon

    The module aims to focus on the competing nature of the concept of “disability” and the implications it has on community development, social policies and practice. It examines disability as a new social movement that informs much of the social policy and welfare provisions and community practice today. The module considers the radical transformation of the ways in which disability is understood - informed by the Disability Rights Movements of the 70s and 80s in the UK, and enables students to engage in a culture of debates and reflection that are critical required for effective community work.

    Module aims
    The module aims to:
    (i) Provide students with a foundation for understanding and analysing disability in the context of current welfare policies and practices.
    (ii) Enable students to grasp the principles of the social model of disability and its implications for social inclusion and community development.
    (iii) Provide students with an understanding of how the experience of disability is shaped by its interaction with gender, ethnicity and social class.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • spring semester - Wednesday afternoon

    The overall aims of the module are to:

    1. Develop employability skills in interview skills, writing and completing job applications;
    2. Encourage students to reflect critically on their own performance in management and employability tasks, and identify gaps in their employability skills; and
    3. Develop research skills in employability

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • autumn semester - Monday afternoon

    This module is designed to develop a critical awareness of policy changes, professional approaches and contexts, professionalism, organisational functioning to promote effective partnership working. Students will be introduced to and explore key organisational theories and practices and develop a critical understanding of the impact of organisational culture and change and policies upon professional practice. The module also develops student skills in effective teamwork, collaborative decision-making and negotiation through a series of participative learning experiences.
    Module Aims:
    1. Provide an opportunity for social work and students from other courses to explore key theory, policy and practice elements of partnership working within a user-centred approach. This will involve a range of disciplines including social work, social care, health and housing
    2. Enable students to experience, in a highly interactive way and within a safe environment, partnership working and organisational management relevant to partnership working, to inform present and future practice.
    3. Develop student’s capability to reflect upon their own experiences of partnership working and explore factors that influence this, including finance and resource constraints, the ethical bases across the different professional groups and to examine how common values may underpin effective partnership working.
    4. Locate the changing nature of organisations and evaluate the implications for effective inter-professional working within a theoretical and practice-based framework.

    Read full details

Year 3 modules include:

  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Wednesday morning

    This module develops students’ research skills further and involves the design, completion and write-up of a supervised, independent research project. This module expects students to carry out a small scale primary research as well as secondary research. It incorporates an on-going self -evaluation written up as a reflective research log and demands considerable time management abilities as well as the deployment of academic skills. On Leadership and Community Development course, the research can be carried out at the same organisation where the Work Placement is carried out. Students also have the choice of a completely different topic. Youth Studies students will develop an idea relevant to their practice and placement (if they choose placement module).

    Aims of the module: this module aims to:
    1. develop, refine and apply research skills and critical capacities, building on the core research skills developed through the Intermediate level module Researching Community and Youth Issues.
    2. undertake a manageable independent research in an area of their choice.
    3. focus on an issue affecting community or youth organisations or communities and carry out a small-scale project using primarily primary research as well as secondary research.
    4. explore complex issues which are of importance to communities and /or community organisations;
    5. link their topic of research to Community Development or Youth Work and relevant National Occupational Standards (CD NOS or YW NOS).

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Wednesday afternoon

    The module aims to
    1. Critically examine conflicting discourses with regard to social and community enterprises
    2. compare models of entrepreneurial activity focusing on those relevant to community development and the voluntary sector
    3. consider the ways in which community development projects can adapt to changes in the external environment, including changing funding models and increasing requirements for non-grant related independent sources of income
    4. discuss the differences / similarities between the values of CD as expressed in the UK and those by the International Association for Community Development (IACD).
    5. identify ways in which success/failure can be measured in the context of community action and ethical concerns
    6. enable students to situate themselves with the competing ideas and practices which are prevalent within community development and the voluntary sector

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Wednesday morning

    This is an Honours level core module and is based on a supported and self-managed work experience which can begin at the end of the second year and continue throughout the final year of the degree programme, though ideally to end by the beginning of the final semester. This pattern allows the final semester for researching and writing up the report. The aim is to achieve a minimum of 30 days. The work placement provides an opportunity for students to gain in depth knowledge in an area of their interest.

    This module is designed to enable students to undertake a work placement in an organisational setting relevant to community development and to utilise this experience to develop and reflect on:
    • The understanding of the academic discipline of the degrees
    • The National Occupational Standards (NOS) for Community Development Work
    • The range of generic and specific skills a student will need in their future career/area of employment, and
    • Student’s own learning and performance.

    The module aims to enable students to:

    1. Extend and evaluate an understanding of community development
    2. Develop job-search skills
    3. Apply research skills by conducting a small-scale organisational study
    4. Broaden awareness of work culture, organisational processes and policies, social issues and the occupational standards for community development work.
    5. Identify generic/transferable skills for development/improvement. Extend and assess competence in these skills
    6. Reflect on how these skills are appropriate to community development work and possible future careers
    7. Review personal development/training needs
    8. Enhance analytic and presentational skills through producing an extensive report written to a specific brief.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • autumn semester - Thursday morning
    • summer studies - Monday morning

    The module examines the history of housing policy in the UK, focussing in particular on the shift to neo-liberal housing policies from the 1980s. Key contemporary housing issues and the key causes of the current ‘housing crisis’ in London and the UK are examined.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • spring semester - Thursday morning
    • spring semester - Monday morning

    The module aims to:
    1. Place changes in housing management in the context of wider social, economic and organisational changes;
    2. Introduce the key practical issues facing housing professionals, and good practice in addressing these issues;
    3. Identify ways in which housing service users and community workers can challenge poor performance and get involved in service improvement;
    4. Examine the benefits and challenges of partnership working in dealing with housing issues;
    5. Explain current discussions on the balance of rights and responsibilities for social housing tenants and other local residents.

    Read full details
  • This module currently runs:
    • all year (September start) - Tuesday afternoon

    The module aims are to:
    • Analyse how key sociological/psychological concepts and theories of youth and community work interact with employment skills
    • Provide insight into theoretical learning while linking to previous or potential practical experiences.
    • Incorporate experiential learning techniques to critically examine learning theory and promoting self-reflection to aid students’ understanding of knowledge and skills needed in employability.
    • Introduce students to the sector’s professional occupational standards and theoretical frameworks for critical reflective practice
    • develop students’ self-confidence as effective practitioners through the understanding of relevant theoretical knowledge and how they relate to the development of identified key skills such as project management, communication and presentation skills and supervision

    Read full details

What our students say

"Shortly after graduation, I began paid employment at Hestia. It's a place where I feel I am learning every day on a personal, social and technical level.

"I'm glad my degree gave me the right tools to be up to the standards of the demands of my current job. I am very grateful for this!"

- Alcina Kouassi, a 2020 graduate

"I was headhunted shortly after graduation. Since graduating, I have worked in community development and regeneration, working with local people, local organisations and community projects to develop key partnerships."

- Tania Jacobs, a 2014 graduate

Where this course can take you

By the end of the course you’ll have the necessary experience and knowledge to become a leader in your chosen field.

Our graduates work in a wide range of different organisations. There are many opportunities for paid work with communities. The jobs are often not called ‘community worker’ but give you the chance to put your learning into action. Our students work in local councils, universities, the NHS, the private sector and many other fields. We love to keep in touch with students who have left, and they often return to tell our current students what they are doing.

We focus on building your transferable skills in order to increase your chances of gaining employment on graduation. Our team will support you in finding and securing the right placement. We have extensive links with employers who offer work experience opportunities in community trusts, youth clubs, housing associations, charitable organisations and other non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

After you graduate, you could go on to study a postgraduate degree with us on courses such as our Social Work MSc or the Woman and Child Abuse MA.

Working with

We are currently working in partnership with global construction company, ISG. Five graduates from this course are working there as interns, carrying out research on BAME-owned companies. The purpose of the research is to create a more diverse construction industry.

Course leader

If you're interested in this course and would like further details, you can email the course leader, Patrick Mulrenan, on

Additional costs

Please note, in addition to the tuition fee there may be additional costs for things like equipment, materials, printing, textbooks, trips or professional body fees.

Additionally, there may be other activities that are not formally part of your course and not required to complete your course, but which you may find helpful (for example, optional field trips). The costs of these are additional to your tuition fee and the fees set out above and will be notified when the activity is being arranged.

Discover Uni – key statistics about this course

Discover Uni is an official source of information about university and college courses across the UK. The widget below draws data from the corresponding course on the Discover Uni website, which is compiled from national surveys and data collected from universities and colleges. If a course is taught both full-time and part-time, information for each mode of study will be displayed here.

How to apply

If you're a UK applicant wanting to study full-time starting in September, you must apply via UCAS unless otherwise specified. If you're an international applicant wanting to study full-time, you can choose to apply via UCAS or directly to the University.

If you're applying for part-time study, you should apply directly to the University. If you require a Student visa, please be aware that you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.

When to apply

The University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) accepts applications for full-time courses starting in September from one year before the start of the course. Our UCAS institution code is L68.

If you will be applying direct to the University you are advised to apply as early as possible as we will only be able to consider your application if there are places available on the course.

To find out when teaching for this degree will begin, as well as welcome week and any induction activities, view our academic term dates.

News and success stories

Meet the team

Visit us

You may also like...