Introduction to Furniture Making (short course)
Why study this course?
This one-day-a-week, 15-week-long course is an introduction to basic furniture making and aims to give you a useful grounding in the field. You'll be taught at The Cass with its long history of teaching furniture and upholstery courses, where you'll explore the safe and correct use of a range of hand tools, different construction techniques and basic furniture forms.
The course is designed to broaden your understanding of the subject and materials, building from initial tool use sessions to give you the necessary skills to design and make your own furniture.
You will gain a grounding in:
- safe and effective use and maintenance of a broad range of hand tools
- construction techniques, including manipulating, joining and jointing timber and timber-based materials
- sketching and draughtsmanship as a means of communication, taking information from and making working drawings
- basic furniture forms, frames and carcases
- surface preparation and finishing
Class sizes are kept small to enable all participants to receive individual guidance. Teaching is for the most part workshop-based, with practical demonstrations and handouts. There is regular one-to-one discussion, planning and feedback.
The course is aimed at individuals with no prior experience who have a desire to build their own furniture, or others who may already have worked in furniture making or joinery and wish to develop their knowledge and skills further.
"It was absolutely excellent. Our teacher couldn't have been better. Would definitely recommend."
"It was a fantastic introduction to furniture making led by a professional and knowledgeable practitioner. Great access to tools and equipment. I had very little experience of fine woodwork beforehand and learned a great deal more than I anticipated."
"A very enjoyable and rewarding course. I really learnt lots and got practical experience."
Autumn dates coming soon!
|Length||One day a week for 15 sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11.30am to 5.30pm|
|Maximum class size||13|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
Material costs of £25 are included in the fees.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.