Chain Making and Wirework (short course)
Why study this course?
On this course you will learn the basics of working in wire for jewellery. Wire is a lively and exciting material to use with endless possibilities for design and can form the whole piece of jewellery or just the component parts.
You'll become confident using ancient techniques such as drawing wire and making loop-in-loop chains. You'll also learn various ways of soldering, and how to use them appropriately in different situations, as well as having the opportunity to use the techniques you've learnt to design and make something of your own.
- introduction to wire drawing and annealing
- twisting and wrapping wire using a hand drill and soldering together to make a ring
- making jumprings – soldering jumprings using a probe/paste/pallions
- using jumprings from the previous week to make various loop-in-loop chains for bracelets
- design and make something of your own
- finish your designs
By the end of the course, you'll leave with finished pieces that can include a ring, bracelet and something of your own design.
This course is taught by Lucie Gledhill.
You should have some experience in jewellery making, and enjoy repetitive processes and a traditional approach to making.
Techniques learnt will include:
- soldering with probe, paste and pallion
- drawing and annealing wire
- twisting and wrapping wire
- making jumprings
- making loop-in-loop chains
|Course dates||Autumn dates coming soon!|
|Length||One day a week for three sessions|
|Day and time||
Saturday, 11am to 5pm
|Maximum class size||8|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there will be a charge for materials. The amount of this charge will depend on how many materials are used.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.