Funding your studies

PhD Loan

Please note, the loan details listed here may be subject to change, as the scheme has yet to pass through the consultation process.

From 2018/19 English students without a Research Council living allowance may be able to take out a non-means-tested loan of up to £25,000 to help them cover the cost of a PhD. Students must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Repaying student loans

The PhD Loan will not need to be repaid until you have finished your course (or withdrawn) and are earning more than £21,000 per year. You will pay 6% of your income over the threshold of £21,000 a year. If your income falls below £21,000, your repayments will stop. The interest on the loan will be calculated at the rate of inflation plus 3% on all outstanding PhD Loan balances. Repayments will be made concurrently with any other student loans such as undergraduate loans.

How to apply

It is expected that you will need to apply online via the student finance section of the website.

At a glance

Maximum value: £25,000
Open to: English students
Studying at level: PhD
The information on this page applies to students starting courses in these academic years (as indicated): 2018/19

Book your place at our student finance application workshops

Ways to fund your studies

Bursaries and grants

Funding your studies

Bursaries and grants can help you cover a range of expenses whilst studying, including your living costs.

Fee reductions and discounts

Funding your studies

The fee reductions that are available can depend on your level of study and where you are from.


Funding your studies

The types of student loan available to you depend on where you are from and whether you are looking to study an undergraduate or a postgraduate course.


Funding your studies

Available scholarships depend on your level of study and where you are from.

Ways to pay

Funding your studies

How you pay your tuition fees depends on the type of funding you have, where you are from and whether you are studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level.