UCU strikes in February and March
The University and College Union (UCU), which represents some staff members at the University, confirmed plans to escalate and extend their industrial action in a national dispute. Discontinuous strike action, which started last Wednesday 1 February, is scheduled to continue throughout the month and into March on the following days
- Thursday 9 and Friday 10 February
- Tuesday 14, Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 February
- Tuesday 21, Wednesday 22 and Thursday 23 February
- Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 February and Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 March
- [No action week commencing Monday 6 March]
- Thursday 16 and Friday 17 March
- Monday 20, Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 March
This page will be updated if further strike action dates are announced.
Our commitment to students
On strike days:
- all our buildings will remain open, and our services will be operating as usual;
- unless a member of staff communicates that alternative arrangements have been made, we expect all lectures to take place as planned on all strike days;
- submission deadlines will not be affected. Any student with a concern about assessments, should speak to their course leader or academic mentor;
- we will ensure that the learning aims and objectives of your course are fully met and that no student is detrimentally affected as a result of the UCU strike action.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Will all staff be striking?
Only a small minority of London Met staff are members of the UCU, and we remain committed to minimising disruption caused to the experience of our students. Staff don’t need to tell us if they are joining strike action, so it is very difficult to predict the impact the action will have. Members of staff who choose not to take part will be working normally.
Why are the strikes taking place?
The University and College Union (UCU) is the largest union representing academic staff at universities throughout the United Kingdom. Following a recent vote among its members, the union is taking industrial action over issues related to pay, pensions, and working conditions.
In the best interest of students across the country, we hope that the UCU and The Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA) will be able to reach an agreement as soon as possible.