National Saturday Club
The National Saturday Club gives young people aged 13-16 the unique opportunity to study every Saturday morning at their local college or university for free. The programme, funded by the Sorrell Foundation, offers 30 weeks of inspiring classes to students over the academic year. The aim of the clubs is to nurture young people’s talent and build their confidence and self-esteem. London Met runs two Saturday Clubs:
National Art and Design Saturday Club
At London Met, classes are taught at the Sir John Cass School of Art, Architecture and Design and led by theatre designer and academic Ian Teague alongside our student ambassadors. We explore a range of different disciplines such as painting, drawing, performance design, model making, creating environments and creatures, mural and scenic painting, costume and character drawing and digital design.
Club members also visit some of London's best museums and galleries, and exhibit their work in their own summer show at Somerset House, London. They are also given the opportunity to attend a masterclass with some of the UK's foremost designers or artists. Recent guest workshops include:
- jewellery design with Peter Marigold (April 2018)
- theatre, costume and props design with English National Opera (2016-18)
- food sculpture and landscapes with cake artist Connie Viney (spring 2017)
- metalwork with designer Simone ten Hompel (autumn 2015)
- typefaces with artist Bob and Roberta Smith (spring 2015)
- puppet-making masterclass with the National Theatre's War Horse puppet designers (spring 2015)
National Writing and Talking Saturday Club
The Writing and Talking Club aims to inspire local young people to explore the craft, the power and the possibility of writing and, most importantly, to have fun.
Sessions include creative prose and poetry writing and performance, screenwriting, theatre and journalistic skills. Club members will be taught by a range of experts including English, Creative Writing and Theatre lecturers from the Sir John Cass School of Art, Architecture and Design, theatre professionals and published authors, supported by our student ambassadors. We also have exciting guest masterclasses and visit top London arts venues. Our 2018 masterclass was in arts criticism, led by English National Opera.
How to apply for our Saturday Clubs:
Applications for both clubs are now open for September 2018. Anyone aged 13-16 is welcome to apply. All we ask is for an enthusiasm for developing your creative writing and speaking skills. However, priority will also be given to students who meet any of the following criteria:
- neither parent attended university
- you are/have been in local authority care
- you are a young adult carer
- you have a specific disability or specific learning difficulty
- you have been eligible for free school meals during your secondary education
If you're interested in joining either class or have any questions please contact Liz Routhorn, Widening Participation Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7133 4175.