Dr Jan Bamford and Jo Skinner
The purpose of Student Support is to raise the aspirations, performance and confidence of all students through further academic support and mentoring.
Priorities for Student Support
The Student Support Team aim to review academic support approaches and identify best practice and models of delivery. The team are doing this by reviewing existing academic support for students in order to develop a comprehensive and systematic effective system that contributes to positive outcomes for all London Met students.
For Student Support, top priorities are:
- identifying and addressing academic support needs
- promoting a learning community
- offering a personalised approach to learning
- embedding student support in the curriculum
- providing peer-assisted learning
- engaging in a feedforward approach
- clarifying roles and having a strong interface with the Student Journey
- providing a consistent and integrated student support service
Student Support outcomes
The work of Student Support will result in optimised positive outcomes for all student groups as well as the reduction of the differential attainment gap. It will also contribute to retention, progression and attainment for all students and result in the introduction of Student Progress Files and individual academic mentoring.
Crucial to the success of this project is listening to the voice of students and it is indeed the views of students that inform the work undertaken by the Student Support Team.