Fiona French is a senior lecturer in the School of Computing and Digital Media, and the course organiser for Computer Games Programming BSc. She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
She has a PGCTLHE (Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education), an MSc Internet Technology from University of Greenwich, an MA Media Technology from University of Newcastle, and an MA Arts and Social Sciences from University of Aberdeen. She is currently undertaking a PhD in Animal Computer Interaction at The Open University.
Fiona is undertaking a PhD at the Animal Computer Interaction Lab at The Open University, designing high tech systems for animals to provide sensory and cognitive enrichment. Her focus is on acoustic toys for elephants – you can read more about it in her blog.
Fiona’s other research interests include location-based games, digital narrative and interactive fiction, physical computing and toy design.
Fiona is the course organiser for Computer Games Programming BSc, and teaches several modules in the School of Computing and Digital Media, including Game Design, Toy Design, Artificial Intelligence and Portfolio Development (for programmers).
2015: Designing interactive toys for elephants. Part of the Infinity Lecture series at London Metropolitan University
2009: The Big Woolwich Txt Game (Stream Arts London 2012 commission)
2009: Why do girls avoid us? Presentation for British Computer Society.
2007: Dr Zoogle’s Bestiary mobile treasure hunt (part of London Games Festival Fringe)
2006: Mobile Learning Adventure (Emerald funded)
Selection of recent papers
- 2017: French F, Baskin S, Cheok AD, Nannoni E, Wallace B, Zamansky A. ZooJam 2: Designing enrichment for farm animals. [Workshop proposal] in the ACI 2017 conference (November 2017).
- 2017: French F, Mancini H, Sharp H. Exploring Research through Design in Animal-Computer Interaction. Paper at ACI 2017 (November 2017).
- 2017: French F, Mancini C, Sharp H. High tech cognitive and acoustic enrichment for captive elephants. Journal of Neuroscience Methods (in Press).
- 2016: French F, Webber S, Campbell M, Kingston-Jones M, Schaller D. Don’t Cut to the Chase: Hunting Experiences for Zoo Animals and Visitors. [Workshop proposal] in the ACI 2016 conference.
- 2016: French F, Mancini C, Sharp H. Exploring methods for interaction design with animals: a case study with Valli. Paper at ACI 2016.
- 2016: Webber S, Carter M, Watters J, Krebs B, Mancini C, Sherwen, S., French, F., O'Hara, K. HCI Goes to the Zoo [Workshop proposal] in the 2016 CHI Conference.
- 2015: French F, Mancini C, Sharp H. Interactive Toys for Elephants. CHI Play 15; Published in Proceedings of the 2015 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play.
- 2014: French F, Mancini C, Smith N, Sharp H. Designing Smart Toys for the Cognitive Enrichment of Elephants. Presented at AISB 2014 (Artifical Intelligence for the Simulation of Behaviour, Symposium on Intelligent Systems for Animals).
- 2012: French F, Rascob E, Baker C, Rothwell N. The Life Project: Presented at EVA London 2012 (Electronic Visualisation and the Arts), BCS.
Room: T10-03 Tower Building
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7133 4578