Farid started his career as an English as a Foreign Language and translation tutor in Algeria and went on to work at Bradford University where he was Coordinator of French, and Director of European Languages and European Studies MA. Farid has taught translation modules at both undergraduate and postgraduate level including London Met's Interpreting MA and Translation MA, where he teaches translation theory and applied translation into French.
Farid has taught on the following modules:
- Introduction to Intercultural Studies
- The Translator and Language
- Theoretical Aspects of Translation
Short courses /Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Translation Summer School
- Translation Skills and Business English
PhD supervisor and co-supervisor
- The Role of Translation in Shaping Media and Political Discourses in Times of Conflict: The Syrian “Spring” in Context
- Contrastive Rhetoric in English and Arabic Editorials: a Discourse Analysis of Repetition
Farid's research interests include intercultural issues related to language and identity with a specific interest in ethnic minority migrants. He has edited a volume entitled Black Blanc Beur: Language and Identity in France and has published a number of articles on the topic.
- 2014 with Lukasz Kaczmarek, Maintaining Student Engagement in an Online Short Course in Translation’, Investigations in University Teaching and Learning 9:93-99.
- 2013 Terminology is not about terms. How to make the most of IATE, the EU’s terminology database. Review of lecture by Timothy Cooper. ITI Bulletin March 2013
- 2010 Supervisor for the translation and audio recordings of: L’arabe avant de partir. Chamber Harrap’s Publishers ltd. Edinburgh. ISBN : 978 0245 50800 4
- 2009: The status of the French Language in North Africa. In Dalila Ayoun (ed.) French Applied Linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. (With Dawn Marley, Surrey University).
- 2008 Adaptation and Translation into French Arabe: Méthode integrale. Chamber Harrap’s Publishers Ltd. Edinburgh. With K Aitsiselmi. ISBN 978 0245 50742 7
- 2007 The Language Situation in Algeria Encyclopaedia of Language and Linguistics, Brown, K. (ed) 2nd Edition, Elsevier online.
- 2006 Linguistic Exile: the Case of Beur Writers in The Silver Throat of the Moon: Writing in Exile (Langer, J (ed) Nottingham, Five Leaves (2005) pp.232-245.
- 2005 Citizenship, migration and nation-state: the case of North African immigrants in France. In AH Carling (ed) Globalization: Identity, Polity and Economy: Approaches from the Humanities and Social Sciences, London: IB Tauris.
Principal Lecturer in Translation and Interpreting