Advice about arriving, living, and working in the UK

Extending your Student Visa from within the UK  

Preparing to extend your visa

If you would like to start a new course at London Met following a period of study either here or with another university you must have been issued a new Tier 4 visa before you enrol with us. To obtain your new visa you will need to request a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). 

Preparing in advance is extremely important and you must apply to extend your Tier 4 visa (Leave to Remain) before your current visa expires. We recommend you begin preparing your application at least three months before your current visa expiry date. 


Extending your Tier 4 visa to complete your current course?

Students who are already studying at London Met and who need to extend their stay in the UK to complete their course can apply for a CAS from our Visa Compliance team. Please contact for more information.

Extending your Tier 4 visa to start a new course? 

If you have just finished, or are due to finish a course with London Met and are progressing onto a new course you will need to apply for a new CAS from the international Admissions team as a new student. You will be contacted with details about the process when you are holding an unconditional offer for your next course.

Changing from another university?

If you are currently holding a Tier 4 visa for a different sponsor (university) and you are applying to start a new course at London Met then you will need to apply for a new CAS from the International Admissions team. You will be contacted with details about the process when you are holding an unconditional offer for your new course.


Applying to switch to a Tier 4 student visa from a different immigration category

If you are switching from another immigration category you should contact us prior to beginning the process so that we can verify that your visa application can be made from inside the UK.

Interviews - Credibility Testing


It is very possible that the UK Visas and Immigration Department of the Home Office will call you for a  Credibility Interview. The UKVI state that the purpose of any interview is to confirm that the applicant is a genuine student.

When called for an interview, the UKVI staff may ask you a number of questions about your immigration and education history, including why you intend to study in the UK , your study and post-study plans, your financial circumstances, whilst also assessing your English Language skills.

The questions will be asked via a video link with a member of staff from the Home Office .  The types of questions that you may be asked include: why you decided to study in the UK; why you decided to study at London Met and why the particular course; basic questions about the course content; your immigration history and previous education.  We advise that you make sure that you read information on your department's website to familiarise yourself with the course content for your particular programme.

You should be able to talk about the course content and not just list the modules.

We recommend that while you should not worry too much about the interview you should take some time to carefully prepare for the questions that may be asked.

What kind of questions will the Home Office ask me at the interview?

This will depend on your individual circumstances.   Here are some suggestions 

Your previous immigration history
  • you may be asked about any previous UK visas you have had
  • UKVI may want to know whether you have ever breached any of the conditions of your UK visas
  • UKVI may ask about any visas you have had for other countries around the world
Your previous study history, current study and post study plans
  • if there is a long gap between previous study and the new course you may be asked to explain why there has been a break
  • you will be asked for very clear information about your course and why you want to study at London Met.
  • you may be asked what are your plans after the course eg where do you want to work?
Your Finances
  • The UKVI may ask where your money has come from
  • you may be asked about your family's circumstances at home

What is a CAS?

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

In order to enter the UK to start a course you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The CAS is an electronic record held on the UK Home Office database. The University gives the UKVI your personal details, including your passport number, your date of birth, your nationality and the details about your course, including the start and end date and the tuition fees that you have paid.

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is not an actual certificate or paper document, but is a number issued electronically. A CAS Number is the reference number unique to you and London Metropolitan University containing your CAS details. You will need your CAS number to apply for a UK Student Visa but this is not required in an official paper document capacity. 

Obtaining your CAS: to finish your current course

Students already studying at London Met and who need to extend their stay in the UK to complete their current course can apply to our Visa Compliance team who will assess your eligibility for a CAS. Please email in order to find out more about how and when you can do this.

Obtaining your CAS: to start a new course

If you have just finished, or are due to finish a course with London Met and progress on to a follow-on programme you will need to apply for a new CAS from The International Admissions Team as a new student. You will be contacted with details about the process when you are holding an unconditional offer for your next course. To obtain a CAS you will need to follow the instructions we will send to you. The CAS Application Portal becomes available four months before the start of the course/semester you are joining.

You will be notified when the process becomes available to you, and where you can then begin the process in “My immigration information”. You will need to have accepted an Unconditional offer of study for your main academic course, or your pre-sessional English course (if applicable). You will then be able to proceed to request your CAS: 

  • Request your CAS and provide the requested documents and payment information
  • Confirm the draft of your information that we will send to the UK Home Office when we issue your Final CAS
  • View and use your Final CAS for your Visa application

Full details of the CAS process can be found on the web page: The CAS Application Portal

Documents required for a Tier 4 visa application

Before you apply for your visa you should ensure you have the original copies of the required documents. You should read the Gov.UK Home Office UKVI information for full details on which documents are required for your visa application.

You will need to provide the following documents with your application although you may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances:

  • qualification documents as listed in your CAS
  • English language documents as listed in your CAS
  • passport
  • financial documents to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds (see next section: Financial requirements)
  • translations of ANY documents not in English
  • 1 passport photograph - please read this guidance on the correct format of photos UK Visas and Immigration Photograph Guidance
  • your tuberculosis test result if you are from a country where you are required to take a test.

Please note that you may be required to provide additional documents and the online application will give you a personalised checklist of documents you must provide.

Financial documents


In order to be eligible for the 10 maintenance points you will need to provide very specific financial documents as outlined in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance .

You can demonstrate that you have enough money by providing one of the following :

  1. Personal paper bank statements
  2. Electronic bank statements
  3. Official letter from an authorised bank confirming funds
  4. Official letter from an authorised financial institution confirming loan funds


Which financial institutions are accepted? 

Please note that there are some financial institutions that are not accepted by the Home Office UK Visas and Immigration department .  

The list of these institutions can be found here in the Immigration Rules: Appendix P 


Can I use my parent's bank account? 

Yes, the funds must be held either in your own name or your parent's or legal guardian's name.   If you would like to use your parent's funds then you will need to also provide:

  • your original birth or adoption certificate showing the names of your parents or court document naming your legal guardian
  • a letter from your parents which confirms the relationship between you and your parents and which also give consent to you using their funds for your education in the UK.


How do I show I have an official financial sponsor? 

An official financial sponsor can be your own or the UK government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or an independent school.  

You must provide a letter from the sponsor on official letter-headed paper which must include all of the following:

  • your name
  • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
  • the date of the letter
  • the length of the sponsorship
  • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs.

If you will be receiving sponsorship from an official financial or government sponsor which does not cover all of the fees and maintenance, then please remember that you will have to show that you have the rest of the required maintenance in your own, or parent's name. 

If the sponsorship also covers your dependents then the letter confirming sponsorship must include the names of your dependents.  


Your financial documents must be presented in the correct format  


  • Original paper/electronic statements

Personal bank statements, either original or electronic, covering a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application, must include all of the following:

  • Your name, or the name of parent/legal guardian if applicable
  • Your account number,
  • Your bank's name and logo,
  • The amount of funds in your account (the balance should show that there are sufficient funds in your account to cover the cost of any unpaid tuition fees and the required maintenance funds)
  • The funds required must have been in your bank account for a continuous period of 28 days
  • Your statements must not be more than one month old

If you are using electronic bank statements then each page must be stamped by the bank or your bank must issue a letter confirming the authenticity of your electronic bank statements.


  • Bank letter

You can provide a bank letter confirming funds have been held for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application. This can be the easiest and most simple way to provide the evidence that you have the correct amount of maintenance .  The letter must include all of the following:

  • your name, or the name of your parent/legal guardian 
  • the date of the letter
  • the account number
  • the financial institution's name and logo
  • the amount of funds in your account  - this must be sufficient to cover the cost of any unpaid tuition fees and the required maintenance funds
  • written confirmation that the funds listed have been in your bank account for a continuous period of 28 days and that the balance has not fallen below the required amount
  • any letter issued by your bank must be used to apply for a visa within 31 days of the closing balance date indicated


  • Loan funding document

A letter confirming educational loan funds must include the following:

  • Your full name
  • The date of the letter
  • The loan provider/financial institution's name and logo
  • The funds available as a loan
  • that the loan is provided by your national government , their state or regional government, a government sponsored student loan company or is part of an academic or educational loans scheme
  • The letter confirming your loan funding must be dated no more than six months before the date your visa application.


 Information on the Immigration Health Surcharge

People who need immigration permission to come to or stay in the UK will be charged an additional sum as part of their immigration application. This will entitle them to receive free health services under the National Health Service. 

The Tier 4 application forms will automatically calculate how much of the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) applicants have to pay. 

How much will this cost?

The Health Charge for Tier 4 students is £150 per year. Each Tier 4 dependant will also be charged £150 per year. 

If this period of leave includes part of a year that is six months or less, the amount payable for that part of a year is half the specified amount, ie £75 for students and their dependants. If the period of leave includes part of a year that is more than six months, the full £150 annual amount is payable.

For example, if you are going to study on a 12 month course, then you are likely to receive leave that starts one month before the start of your course and ends four months after the end of your course.

If you include the period of leave allowed before the course starts and after the course ends (one month and four months respectively), then that adds up to a total of 17 months of leave. This means that you will have to pay £150 (12 months) + £75 (additional five months, so less than six months) = £225.

Who is exempt from the Health Charge?

  • those making an application for Entry Clearance of six months or less

Further details of the NHS Surcharge can be found here.

For further information please contact our international student advisers at


Submitting a Visa application in the UK

Completing Your Application Online

  • The Tier 4 student visa application process is now fully online and you should begin the process here on the Gov.UK (UKVI) website. You will need the London Met Sponsor Licence number (D7G4NYBW3) to access the online application form. The first thing to do is to register to create an account on the UKVI website. You will then be able to start to complete the form online and you will be able to save it and return to it at any time. You have up to 58 days to complete the application. After completing the online application you will pay the application fee online and then print, sign and post the cover sheet together with your documents to the Home Office UKVI.  The postal address will be on the form.
  • There is now a new Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) of £150 per year for all six month or longer visa applications - as of 5 July 2015 the amount you must pay will be automatically calculated for you by the Tier 4 online application form.  If you are making a Tier 4 visa application on or before 4 July 2015 please see the advice section online.
  • Carefully read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance before you begin to complete the application.
  • The cost of a standard postal Tier 4 (General) visa application is currently £448.
  • If you would like to apply in person so that your application is processed in one day you can book an appointment to use the Premium Service (costs £948) and the online process will give you this option after you have completed the declaration section. Please note that you may be asked to attend a follow up Credibility Interview in which case the visa application will not be processed in one day and may actually take several weeks to complete.
  • When you have completed the application online you will be given a personalised checklist of all documents that the UKVI will require and which must be either posted if you are using the standard application or taken with you if you are using the premium appointment service.
  • Once you have applied you can stay in the UK until you have received the decision.

When should I apply for my Tier 4 General visa?

You should begin to prepare your application as early as possible as the whole process can take a long time. If you leave it too late your visa may not be granted in time and you will be unable to join your course. London Met cannot permit students to join their course later than the latest enrolment date. See: dates and deadlines for international students  

Your visa will be issued a maximum of one month before the start date of your programme of study for most undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.

For further information about the documents and evidence required for your visa application please see the section: Financial Documents Required.

Contact details

The International student advisers are available for advice on a range of issues including visas and immigration.

The service is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

International student advisers


telephone:       +44 (0)20 7133 4186

appointments:  +44 (0)20 7133 4186

Immigration information from London Met

Obtaining your CAS: New Students

Find out when and how you can get your CAS

If you are a non EU/EEA national you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) as part of your student Visa application.

Living, working and studying in the UK

find out about living costs, opening a bank account, health and registration with an NHS doctor, working during your studies, your Visa responsibilities, and more.

Log in to the Applicant Portal (Evision)

Use the applicant portal (Evision) to keep up to date with the progress of your admission.