Police registration

Police registration

Students from some non-EEA countries who are studying for more than six months are required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK.

If your visa reads "Must register with the police within 7 days" or similar message, you will need to make sure that you do this as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. If your visa does not mention police registration, you do not have to register.

The new short-term 30 day entry clearance visa will still state whether you need to register with the police. If you are issued with this new 30 day visa, you will also receive a letter confirming that your visa application for the UK has been successful and provide the start/expiry date of your visa.

In order to register with the police, please read the following information and take the requested documents to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) at 323 Borough High Street London SE1 1JL:

1. You must visit the OVRO to register and collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) within seven days of arriving in London.

2. Waiting times at the OVRO can vary dramatically, depending on the time of year. Generally the busiest time is 12-2pm.

3. There is generally no appointment booking available, as this is a walk-in service. Admission slips are handed out during busier times so everyone can be seen in the fair order of their arrival.

Registration lasts about 15 minutes.

3. Documents required for registration

  • Passport (with visa)
  • One UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the Pro Forma
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit
  • £34 registration fee

Further police registration information can be found on the Metropolitan Police website.

Your address details

It is important to keep your address and contact details up to date and to inform the University immediately if any of these details change. You can do this using the applicant portal or by contacting the London Met Visa Compliance team (visa.compliance@londonmet.ac.uk). UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may need to contact you and it is your responsibility to ensure the UKVI have your correct contact details at all times.