Study in London programme  

Study in London

Studying in London is one of the most exciting experiences for second or third-year European undergraduate students, or first or second-year postgraduate students on a non-Erasmus programme.

Our Study in London programme will enable you to combine a period of residence abroad with an educational programme for which you will gain academic credit towards your degree in your country of origin. Your study abroad experience at London Metropolitan University will facilitate immersion and integration into a new culture.

You'll benefit from:

  • taking classes alongside students from all over the world and gaining first-hand experience of the British educational system
  • a curriculum that is designed to be flexible (there are opportunities to combine subjects and choose modules [classes] from within and outside your subject area at an undergraduate level)
  • an induction before formal teaching begins, which includes registration and orientation
  • being fully integrated into the academic and social life at London Met
  • clubs for many social activities as well as a wide range of fitness, sport and recreation facilities

The normal undergraduate workload at London Met is four modules (classes) and 60 London Met credits per semester. This represents 30 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits. Please see the Undergraduate programme of study and Postgraduate programme of study tabs above for more information on our modules. Postgraduate students may take up to three modules per semester, which are worth 10 ECTS each.

Please note that spending the final semester of your degree at London Met requires careful consideration as you may not receive your results in time to graduate at your home university at the end of your semester abroad.

Semester dates

The academic year is broken down as follows for undergraduate students:


  2016/17           2017/18
Welcome Week (autumn)             26 – 30 September 2016           25 – 29 September 2017
Teaching begins 3 October 2016           2 October 2017
Christmas break 17 December 2016 – 8 January 2017           16 December 2017 – 7 January 2018
Examinations (autumn) 23 January – 3 February 2017           22 January – 2 February 2018
Welcome Week (spring) 30 January – 3 February 2017           29 January – 2 February 2018
Teaching begins (spring) 6 February 2017           5 February 2018
Easter break 8 – 23 April 2017           24 March – 8 April 2018
Examinations 15 May – 2 June 2017           14 May – 1 June 2018


Contact details

Please send all correspondence and applications to:

International Programmes Office 
London Metropolitan University  
166-220 Holloway Road 
N7 8DB 



Entry requirements

In order to be considered for the Study in London programme at London Met, you must be:

  • enrolled as a student in a European university and be in your second or third year (undergraduate) or your first or second year (postgraduate) of study
  • a holder of a European Union passport (Swiss students may be eligible for the programme, contact us for further information). Non-EU passport holders should apply through the study abroad programme as international fees apply
  • in good academic standing at your home university (This means that you must not be failing any classes and would preferably be in the good/very good category)

English language

No additional English language qualification is required if:

  • you've had all educational instruction in English at school or at university, or
  • you can demonstrate that you've achieved consistently high grades in your English courses at university and provide a letter from the tutor / language department with an assessment of your English language ability


If neither of the above are applicable, we expect students to have an English language qualification at one of the following levels:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
  • Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE) II test: B2 in every component


Other certificates may be accepted as proof of English language ability. Please contact us to ascertain the validity of certificates other than those above. IELTS tests are valid for two years from the date of the test.

If, for any reason, you do not possess the level of English language required for entry, you may take a pre-semester English course. This will be at your own expense.

How to apply

Application form

Please complete the Study in London undergraduate application form or the Study in London postgraduate application form using the guidelines provided.

Parts one and two concern your personal information. Please complete all sections.

Part three of the application form is your intended programme of study. Complete this by choosing the modules you'd like to take, using our module catalogue in conjunction with the summary list of modules for undergraduates (found on the programme of study tab) or the list of postgraduate modules offered within a master's course for postgraduates (listed on the relevant course page in our postgraduate courses section).

Attach the following documents to your application form:

  • official academic transcript of results (plus copy of bachelor's certificate for postgraduate applicants)
  • proof of English language qualification
  • academic reference (part four of the application form)
  • copy of personal details page of passport
  • a passport size photograph


Return your completed form and relevant documents to the International Programmes Office at the following address:

International Programmes Office 
London Metropolitan University  
166-220 Holloway Road 
N7 8DB

We do not accept applications by email and all required documentation must be included for us to process your application.


Applications for Study in London are due by the following dates:

  • 15 June (for students studying during the autumn semester or the full year) 
  • 15 November (for students studying during the spring semester)


Applications received after the deadlines will not be accepted. Please ensure that all requested documentation is attached.

2017/18 tuition fees

Undergraduate: £3,500 per semester or £7,000 for one year

Postgraduate: dependent on course (fees are charged per module, typically £900-£1,100 each)

What happens next?

Once we've made a decision on your application we'll contact you by email. If you've been accepted, you'll be sent an official offer letter. There will be a reply slip at the bottom of the offer letter, which should be completed, stating whether or not you are accepting the offer of a place, and returned to the International Programmes Office by email.

At this point, you can start looking for accommodation.

During the summerstudents starting in the autumn semester will receive information about payment, arrival, enrolment and induction procedures.

In December, students starting in the spring semester will receive information about payment, arrival, enrolment and induction procedures.

Change of address

Please make sure you inform the International Programmes Office if you change your address after sending us your application. 

Undergraduate programme of study

Please note: you may only choose modules from the summary lists of modules below; no other class choices will be valid.  If you are only staying for one semester you cannot take 30 credit modules. Please read the instructions carefully, they are important.

Business and Law modules 17/18 

Science and Computing modules 17/18 

Social Sciences, Social Professions, and Humanities modules 17/18 

Most of the undergraduate modules at London Met are taught in a year-long format. This means that the modules begin in September and run all the way through the year, ending in May, to be followed by examinations. This is especially true of first-year modules, so there will be little or no provision for semester students to take first-year classes (4000 level).

Some schools offer semester-long modules in the second (5000 level) and third (6000 level) year as well as the opportunity to take half of some year-long modules and receive half the credits for it (if passed). If the possibility does exist to take half of a year-long module, you must check in which semester it will be offered (autumn, spring or both) and whether the syllabus being taught in the semester you attend will be relevant to you.

Assessment during the autumn semester will typically be through coursework and during the spring semester will normally be through examinations. The autumn semester will finish at the end of January, so any topics taught up to this time may be included in the assessment.

The Cass will not be offering any semester modules, so if you wish to take any modules from this department you'll need to stay for the whole year.

The summary list of modules lists all the classes scheduled to run in the coming semesters which Study in London students can take. This will allow easier selection of modules than using the entire online catalogue. The online catalogue allows you to see the syllabus, assessment methods and reading lists for each class. It will also list any prerequisites that you must fulfil in order to take the class.

Please note the day, time slot and campus that the module is scheduled for. You need to work out your own timetable, so make sure that you don't select modules that are taught on the same day and time slot. If you choose classes taking place at different campuses, you should allow 40 minutes to travel between each campus.

Time slots are given instead of actual class times and are as follows:

  • am (classes occurring between 9am and 1pm)
  • pm (classes occurring between 1 and 6pm)
  • pm+ (classes occurring between 6 and 9pm)

Please note that changes to the timings of classes may occur and occasionally modules are cancelled. For example, your seminar may not follow your lecture directly – it could take place before or after your lecture or even on a different day. Seminar groups are allocated automatically and cannot be chosen.

Length of your studyNumber of credits you need to takeModule details
One semester 30 ECTS (60 London Met credits) total Four classes of either single-semester modules (7.5 ECTS each) or half of year-long modules (7.5 ECTS each) that add up to 30 ECTS total
One year 60 ECTS (120 London Met credits) total Any combination of single-semester modules (7.5 ECTS each), half of year-long modules (7.5 ECTS each) or year-long modules (15 ECTS each) that add up to 60 ECTS total

Please note: Only validated halves of year-long modules will be available to single-semester students. You cannot attend a year-long module for only a semester and receive the credits for it unless it has been validated for early exit/late entry. 30-credit modules offering the option to leave/arrive halfway through will be indicated by the letters A or S at the end of the module code, meaning autumn or spring.

Which level of module should I choose?

There are three different module levels:

  • C – certificate level – first-year modules (4000 codes)
  • I – intermediate level – second-year modules (5000 codes)
  • H – higher level – third-year modules (6000 codes)

As a Study in London student, you can choose modules at any of these levels as long as your home university approves the choice and you have already covered the material taught in any prerequisite modules listed.

Which modules are not available?

Classes in the following subject areas are based around placements or are part of an accredited degree and are therefore not open to Study in London students:

  • social work 
  • architecture/design or other studio-based classes
  • early years teaching 
  • postgraduate classes (if you're an undergraduate student) (module code will be **7***)
  • foundation classes (these are pre-undergraduate level)

Which classes require approval?

There are some classes that we may be able to place you in if you major or minor in this area (and possibly even if you don't). We seek departmental approval on a case-by-case basis for the following classes, so let us know if you're interested:

  • Sir John Cass media classes
  • some third-year practical multimedia classes
  • some maths (MA) and computing classes (CC, CS, CT, CU)
  • health and human sciences modules

Postgraduate programme of study

Semester-long modules

All postgraduate modules run for a semester and most are worth 20 London Met credits (10 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System [ECTS] credits) each. You apply to take either one, two or three modules per semester, and pay according to the number you take.

You can choose your modules from a master's course according to the semester in which you intend to study at London Met (unlike the summary list of modules that undergraduate Study in London students have).

The master's course chosen should correspond to the course that is being followed at your home university. At least one semester of a master's should already have been completed at your home university before you attend postgraduate classes at London Met. A transcript of classes taken and grades obtained must be supplied with your application.

You can follow any MA or MSc from the list of our postgraduate courses as long as you're already studying that subject. Our latest list of postgraduate courses is in our courses section.

Click on the title of the course for an overview. The cost of each module is shown for each master's programme under 'key information', followed by the module price for part-time EU students. The module breakdown for each course can be found on the course catalogue.


Visit the how to apply tab above to find the postgraduate application form. This form should be printed and sent by post to the International Programmes Office, accompanied by:

  • a transcript of your master's course and grades
  • a copy of your bachelor's certificate
  • proof of English language ability
  • a copy of the personal details page of your passport
  • a small photograph.

Once your application has been received it will be sent to the appropriate academic for a decision. This decision will be communicated to you by email. If successful an offer letter will be sent out at a later date.

Your enrolment and orientation will take place alongside all semester students, and welcome programme information will be sent by email.

Arrival, enrolment and orientation

Semester dates 2016/17

Arrive in London By Monday 26 September 2016
Orientation Tuesday 27 to Friday 30 September 2016
Teaching starts Monday 3 October 2016
Christmas break Saturday 17 December 2016 to Sunday 8 January 2017
Examination period Monday 23 January to Friday 3 February 2017
Arrive in London By Monday 30 January 2017
Orientation Tuesday 31 January to Friday 3 February 2017
Teaching starts Monday 6 February 2017
Easter break Saturday 8 April to Sunday 23 April 2017
Examination period Monday 15 May to Friday 2 June 2017

Enrolment for autumn semester

Date                        To be confirmed                                                              
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

Please go to the venue at the designated time with the following documents:

  • passport or national identity card
  • your offer letter
  • credit/debit card for payment of fees (if you have not already made payment)

You'll be issued with your student ID card at the enrolment session.


There will be orientation sessions for all Study in London students where you will be provided with information about the services and facilities offered by the University as well as general information about life in London. This will be a good opportunity to meet other students. The first session takes place as follows:

Date                       To be confirmed                                                               
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

If you cannot attend the enrolment and orientation session due to exams at your home university (this should be the only reason why you cannot) you'll need to enrol as soon as possible. Please contact our office by email for information on late enrolment sessions, and how to get your welcome pack.

Tuition fees

The course fees for the Study in London programme in 2016/17 are £3,500 per semester or £7,000 for the full year. The University will not enrol you until you have paid your tuition fees. You can pay in advance or at enrolment. You will need your London Met student ID number in order to pay.

Non-standard course fees, for example for postgraduate courses, will be stated on your personal invoice.

For more details on how to make payment before enrolment, take a look at our payment information. We will also send you information on this with your payment advice letter.

Students who have been accepted on to the Study in London programme will be emailed a full enrolment and orientation programme once it has been finalised.


London Metropolitan University students have access to a variety of rooms in private halls of residence, convenient for both the City and North campus.

Alternatively, you can choose other types of accommodation such as:

  • Private rented accommodation, where you rent out a room in a flat or houseshare with other students
  • Homestay, where you pay to live in the home of a British family – this is particularly recommended to students who wish to improve their English language skills

London Met's Accommodation Bureau

London Met's Accommodation Bureau will be happy to provide advice and information to students looking for housing in London. There are links to accommodation providers, advice on short-term accommodation plus dates and times of house-hunting events that are put on by the Accommodation Bureau. There are also some very useful publications that you should read concerning your rights as a renter and how to protect your money.

If you arrive in London without accommodation then you should look at staying in a hostel while you search for somewhere to live. Our accommodation site has a list of recommended hostels and the facilities that they provide.

You can apply for accommodation directly to the Halls of Residence.

Please do not send any money to people claiming they are landlords of private rooms unless you are in London and have physically visited the room advertised.

Accommodation Bureau
Student Services
LCM-04 Learning Centre
Holloway Road

Tel:  +44 (0) 207 133 3998 
Fax: +44 (0) 207 133 3997 

Frequently asked questions


  1. Do I need a visa?
  2. How much are living costs?
  3. How should I carry money?
  4. Can I open a bank account?
  5. Is London safe?
  6. Do I need insurance?
  7. Do I need to pay for medical care?
  8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?
  9. What is public transport like in London?
  10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?  
  11. What should I do about a mobile phone? 
  12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?  
  13. What is the weather like, what clothes should I bring?  
  14. Should I bring my own bedding and towels to the UK?  
  15. Can I get help with finding a job, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice? 
  16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?  
  17. What free stuff can I do in London?  
  18. How can I get discounts? 
  19. How do I get a council tax exemption certificate?  
  20. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?  
  21. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?
  22. I have lost my student ID card – what now?  
  23. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?  
  24. Can I come into the office to ask a question? 
  25. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?


1. Do I need a visa?

Only EU passport holders may apply for the Study in London programme and will, therefore, not require a visa. Non-EU/EEA/Swiss students need to apply through the Study Abroad programme and, in most cases, will require a visa.


2. How much are living costs?

Average weekly expenses excepting accommodation:

- Food £40-£80. You can eat very cheaply, except if you eat out a lot
- Travel (bus or tube pass) £8 - £20
- Personal (telephone, sport, entertainment, laundry) £75 - £100. Again, it depends on you, if you’re going to gigs and football matches all the time, you’ll probably spend more!


Students say that they spend around £3,500-£4,500 pounds (including accommodation) in a semester, but it varies a lot from person to person. London can be really cheap! There is a lot to see and do that’s absolutely free, see Timeout/London and VisitLondon for ideas. The costs start adding up when you want to travel a lot in the UK or Europe, or go to lots of special events – the opportunities for fun are endless so it’s really up to you to work out your budget in advance, and stick to it!


3. How should I carry money?

We don’t recommend travelling with a lot of cash. There are lots of cash machines that usually accept overseas credit and debit cards, check with your bank that your card will work overseas and be aware that you may be charged for using your card abroad. You will need to know your PIN. We recommend having one card for everyday use and one for emergencies. Traveller’s cheques are also a good back up strategy, and can be exchanged at banks, post offices and Bureaux de Change.


4. Can I open a bank account?

It is not possible for students staying less than six months to open a UK bank account, so only full year students can consider this. Even then it may be difficult as different banks have different rules regarding length of residency in the UK, checks carried out and documentation required. You may be able to open a basic bank account at certain banks that are more international in outlook such as HSBC but all banks have to comply with Money Laudering Regulations that stipulate checks that are required of all applicants.


5. Is London safe?

By international standards, Britain has low rates of street crime and violence, but in any big city it’s worth taking a few simple safety precautions:

  • Plan your journey in advance when using public transport, particularly night buses. TFL travel tools (Transport for London) are very useful.
  • If you are planning to stay out late, try to travel home with a friend. Keep a taxi number and your fare handy.
  • Avoid walking alone at night and keep to well-lit main roads.
  • Only use black cabs or licensed mini cabs, be CABWISE (see TFL web page for advice on hiring cabs).
  • Consider how much alcohol you have had – it can affect your judgement of people and situations, and change your perspective.
  • Don’t accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended.
  • Keep your personal belongings close to you and keep expensive items out of sight, particularly in bars and restaurants. Try not to carry too many valuables.
  • Do not walk about displaying your mobile phone, it is easy to grab.
  • Look out for your friends. Make sure you know where they are, and keep in touch to make sure everyone gets home safely.


6. Do I need insurance?

We strongly recommend that all students take out both medical (see below) and personal belongings insurance for the length of the study abroad period. This will protect you should your luggage go missing, your laptop be lost or your wallet get stolen. Make sure you keep the documents safe and know how to claim.

Keep traveller’s cheques receipts separate from the actual cheques and make a photocopy of your passport and any other important documents. It is not necessary to carry your passport with you at all times, only when travelling outside the UK. If you do lose it, it’s easier to get a replacement if you have a copy.


7. Do I need to pay for medical care?

Medical services are widely available, but free healthcare under the NHS is only available for residents and EU nationals. Short-term visitors (under six months) will be charged for all but emergency treatment. Please ensure that you bring your European Health Insurance Card with you if you are a citizen of a member country of the scheme.

We strongly advise that you consult your medical insurance provider to see if your policy covers you overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as evacuation/repatriation. If you do not already have overseas medical insurance coverage, you should purchase this for your period of study in the UK.


8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?

Your first point of contact is NHS 111 which is a single point of contact for all non-emergency health questions. You just dial 111 to be connected.

The biggest pharmacy chain is Boots, which has branches all over London. There are also numerous smaller pharmacies, and you can buy basic medication like painkillers in most supermarkets. Pharmacists are also able to give advice on whether it is necessary to see a doctor.

If you are only here for a semester you cannot register with a GP (doctor) and so you should use a Walk-in Clinic if you require medical attention. These clinics can be found on the NHS website under "More Services" on the homepage.


9. What is public transport like in London?

There is an extensive network of underground and overground trains and buses in London. These are all maintained and run by Transport for London and are safe and convenient. We recommend all students get an Oyster card, which makes getting around town really quite cheap.


10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?

You can apply to TFL online for a student Oyster card once you’re fully enrolled as a student of London Metropolitan University. You’ll enrol during orientation week, so you can’t apply for your Student Oyster before you get to London. A Student Oyster card gives you one third off the price of weekly and monthly travelcards. As it will take a couple of weeks after applying to receive the card, we recommend that you get a standard adult Oyster card as soon as you arrive in London as you’ll start saving money straight away. Either use pay-as-you-go Oyster, or buy a 7-day travelcard.


11. What should I do about a mobile phone?

You may be able to use your own mobile phone if it has ‘roaming’ enabled, check with your provider. However, this is expensive. We recommend getting a UK mobile, you can get a pay-as-you-go phone and sim quite cheaply. There are many network providers with high street shops or visit The Carphone Warehouse, also on the high street, which carries all networks and brands. 

We also recommend that you use Skype to keep in touch with home. It’s cheap and it’s easy!

Alternatively, get an international calling card from a newsagent for cheap call rates. Outward international dialling codes from the UK can be found in the British Telecom Phone Book.

Eg. to call Germany from the UK dial 0049, to call the UK from Germany dial 0044. The first 0 of the number should then be dropped (except when calling Italy).


12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter? 

The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50HZ. Power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. 

Plug socket adaptors are widely available; you can buy them at most airports, electrical shops, hardware stores and Boots the Chemist.


13. What is the weather like? What clothes should I bring?

Britain has a temperate climate, and London is one of the mildest areas in the UK. However, the weather can be unpredictable; Londoners get used to carrying sunglasses and an umbrella to be prepared for anything! Our top tip? Layers! You will need a warm waterproof coat, but expect to be in a t-shirt when you get onto the tube or into a sunny park.


14. Should I bring my own bedding, towels, hairdryers, etc. to the UK?

Of course it’s up to you, but it’s simple and cheap to buy these things here, so we normally recommend that you save yourself the trouble of carrying them over. Usually the simplest place to buy these things is from one of the big chain stores.

The main supermarkets, which not only sell food but often cheap bedding and towels and sometimes electricals too, are Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose.

Bedding, towels and electricals can also be bought from clothes/home stores ranging from department stores like John Lewis or Debenhams, to cheap shops like Primark and Argos.


15. Can I get help finding a job in London, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice?

Yes, the Career Development and Employment Service is part of Student Services, located on the mezzanine floor of the Learning Centre. They can help with everything from finding a part-time job or volunteering opportunity, to brushing up your CV and planning what to do after you graduate. 


16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?

Your courses will be confirmed and your timetable will become available to view online during orientation week. Up to this point we will check programmes of study submitted to us and contact you if there are any problems. If we do not contact you, then we are registering you for your first choice modules.


17. What free stuff can I do in London?

Many London museums and art galleries are free, some special exhibitions will be ticketed but students usually qualify for reduced entry. Here are some of the larger, better known institutions:

You can also explore places like the Southbank, or all of London's famous street markets, and so many other things it’s impossible to list them all, although some, such as Time Out have tried.


18. How can I get discounts?

An International Student Identity Card (ISIC) will provide you with discounts at several sites and attractions in both London and the rest of Europe. They can be purchased from local travel agents, for example STA Travel.

You could also get a NUS extra card which is the most widely recognised proof of student status in the UK. Apply online. It costs £12 but you will soon cover the cost of the card through discounts.

For cheaper theatre tickets you can arrive an hour before the performance with your ISIC/NUS card and queue for available seats at discount prices, or select the student option when booking online. Also try the theatre booth in Leicester Square for half price tickets on the day of performance.

Student ID cards will ensure a discount at most mainstream cinemas, but it’s also worth seeking out some smaller venues.


19. How do I get a council tax exemption certificate?

You can get council tax exemption certificates from your Hub.


20. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?

You will not usually be required to show any documents on re-entry to the UK if you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national apart from your passport. However, it is a good idea to carry your university ID card with you, just in case.


    21. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?

    Go to the Student Zone, it will have everything you need, including Webmail, Evision, Examtrack, Student Services.....


    22. I have lost my student ID card – what now?

    New student ID cards cost £12. You must go to the cashiers’ office in the Tower building, pay £12 and get a receipt. Then take this receipt to your Hub and they will be able to print a new card immediately.

    If your ID card and/or travel card has been stolen you should report this to the police. You can do this online at the Metropolitan Police website.

    Once you have your crime reference number you need to contact Transport for London (for Oyster card only) and your Hub (for your student ID). Stolen ID cards are replaced free of charge.


    23. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?

    Unless otherwise indicated you should hand in coursework to your Hub. Increasingly, coursework is submitted through Weblearn or TurnItIn. Please read the information online about Coursework and Exams. Papers that are handed in late will be capped at 40%. Ensure that you download a coversheet from your Evision account for every piece of coursework that you hand in and that you receive a proof of submission email in your university email account.


    24. Can I come into the office to ask a question?

    Yes, we’re here to help. Office hours are 11am – 1pm and 3pm – 5pm Monday to Friday for drop in. If you can’t make it during these hours please email us for an appointment.


    25. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?

    We send out transcripts once grades are released by the University. This happens in March (for autumn), July (for spring) and September (reassessments). We will send them directly to you or your university. We supply a copy for you and one for your home university. If you require any further copies, they must be requested and paid for. Before leaving the UK at the end of your academic stay, you must return all library books (and pay any fines you might have incurred) and make sure that the address showing in your evision account is the one you want your transcripts sent to. If the address is incorrect and the transcripts do not reach you then you will be liable for the cost of extra copies. Transcripts will not be sent if any fines are outstanding.

    Student perspectives

    Why do a study abroad semester?

    There are many things to consider before embarking on a study abroad semester - where to go being the primary question. Every country, city and university will have its unique selling points and different appeal. Some students may prefer a quiet university near the countryside whereas others will prefer an exciting, urban experience. Whatever your choice, you should not miss out on one of the best experiences a young adult at university can have. You are able to live and study as a native would while developing your independence, confidence, social skills, academic knowledge and hopefully your appreciation of your host country and university. You get all this while still having the comfort of a support network in the form of the International Office. It is rare to meet a student who regretted doing a semester abroad and it can only enhance your appeal to future employers to have a study abroad semester or year listed on your CV. It does involve a lot of research and preparation but the benefits far outweigh any niggling doubts you may have.

    But there's no need to take our word for it - just take a look at what some of LondonMet's former Study in London students have had to say and then think to yourself - "What am I waiting for?"

    What they said...

    "I will never forget my semester at London Met. At the beginning I was worried about friends, classes and accommodation. Once I arrived, everything was so easy. I made friends from all over the world and I learned so much with all the seminars that London Met offers. I really enjoyed my time in London because the city brings you the opportunity to do so many things and discover so many places. The services from the Library at London Met are amazing; I could find much information for all my projects and the computers from the library are perfect to prepare essays and presentations. I definitely recommend this experience to all students."

     Alberto Girones – Barcelona, Spain - Autumn semester 2009/10


    "Looking back I would say that it was my greatest experience so far. I have not only made a lot of friends, especially with students all over the world, which has increased my cultural awareness, but also developed my professional skills. I really like the academic atmosphere of the London Met. On the one hand you have got the lectures, but then you have got the personal atmosphere in small groups within the seminar sessions. Especially in the seminars, I have improved my English skills, because of group works and presentations. All in all the organization, the modules, the library and the lecturers of the London Met were brilliant, and I really enjoyed to study there.

    The other nice fact of my abroad semester was the city itself. London offers a huge variety of leisure activities and cultural activities like museums or other exhibitions. But at the same time the nightlife and the shopping streets are awesome!

    It was my greatest experience ever, and I would recommend everyone to do an abroad semester in London!"

    Andreas Lauk - Germany - Spring semester 2009/10


    "I never participated in an exchange programme while I was still studying in upper secondary school. Therefore, when my time as a university student started, I was determined to spend some time outside Finland studying – and hopefully learning something about a different culture and getting to know new people. Also, all the universities – and even the government and society in my home country – encourage students to go abroad. The experiences gained are well appreciated and almost vital for young Finns nowadays when considering one’s future and luck in working life. So one could say I had logical and sensible reasons to leave the familiar environment for a few months. But above all, I just really wanted to see the world.

     My department at University of Helsinki had several exchange programmes around Europe and even the globe. Still, to my sorrow, United Kingdom was not included and that actually was the place I wanted to go. I am a history and literature student and my specialised field of study is Great Britain. Going to UK would therefore be most reasonable. In addition, I have always been interested in UK and its history, people and culture. But I have to admit that always means basically the length of my memory which is approximately ten years. I thought I would get the most out of the exchange if I spent the time somewhere where I truly longed to be.

     I chose London Metropolitan for three reasons. First, I love London and living there for a semester would be nearly a dream come true (the best thing would be living there without a certain date of departing). Secondly, I checked numerous web pages and the one for Study in London students of London Met was convincing. And lastly I found out that quite a lot of Finns have either studied or are still studying at London Met. ‘If they can manage it, I can too’, I thought.

     I left London and London Met a month ago and I do miss everything. Britons are by far the nicest people I know and we share the same sense of humour. I value the lecturers I met greatly. I think they were professional and enthusiastic. I most certainly enjoyed the lectures and particularly the seminars. The atmosphere was cheering and informative. London was everything I expected and more. Furthermore, I had time to travel around the country and during the Easter holidays I did a tour to Ireland. There were only two negative things I had to face: saying goodbye to London and Marmite."

    Laura - Finland - Spring semester 09/10


    "I studied at London Metropolitan University for one semester. I took four modules offered by the London Metropolitan Business School and the Faculty of Law, Governance and International Relations which gave me the chance to deepen my background in business studies, finance and international politics. This was an excellent addition to my degree program at my home university in Germany. I also took part in the Open Language Programme and had the opportunity to further improve my language skills, especially in the area of business communications.

    During my time in London I met many interesting people from countries all around the world and I am very glad I took the chance to study in one of the most exciting cities in the world. My stay in London helped me to get to know the British culture and provided me with a deep insight into the way of life in the United Kingdom. I believe this experience was personally and professionally very important for me."

    Leonhard Kemnitzer -  Würzburg, Germany – Autumn semester 2010/11


    "Thank you very much for a fantastic semester abroad and I can only recommend London Met. I loved the people and London really is a wonderful city to study in. Many thanks."

    Isabell Muelke - Munich, Germany - Spring semester 2010/11


    "I really enjoyed my time at London Met so much. I first was worried about the size of the University as my University in Germany was much smaller. But soon I met people from all parts of the world, got a lot  of new and fantastic friends and learned a lot in the very personal  seminars and lectures that my programme offered. I really liked my lecturers as they really cared about me doing well and they were  really good teachers.
    London is a great city to meet new people and have a fantastic time. I am definitely thinking of coming back here one day:)"

    Student from Germany - Spring semester 2010/11


    "Looking back, it is absolutely clear that I will never forget my semester at London Met. When I arrived I was a bit worried about my classes and exams but after a week or two everything turned out to be great. I definitely chose the right modules and all the London Met activity offers (gym, sport classes, etc.) made me forget the weather. I learned a lot of new and interesting things during my classes and seminar descussions beside making new friends all over the world. The essays we had to write were a great opportunity to improve my written English and my academic writing skills. I really enjoyed my time in London as the city offers a lot of great things. We explored very cool places and bars I will definitely miss. I would recommend everyone to do an semester abroad in London. However, be prepared for really bad weather."
    Caroline Krejci - Vienna, Austria - Spring semester 2013/14

    "Thanks for everything you did for us in our trip in LondonMet, we really had a great experience here. I hopefully graduated, thanks to the amazing teachers you have (I would have stayed further if I could afford the London life price!) Again, thanks for all the advice and the energy you put into your work."

    Stefan Marrec, Hautes Etudes Internationales, France - Spring semester 2013/14



    Guides for Study in London students

    The handbook‌ for Study in London students contains useful information that will help you to prepare for your time in London, as well as answering questions while you're here. A hard copy will be given to all students during orientation. Please take the time to carefully read through this handbook as it covers subjects such as university life, money, safety, travel and London's social scene. 

    We also have a study resources page available for your reference, which you should read in detail. This will enable you to successfully partake in the academic life of the University while avoiding pitfalls such as:

    • failing to attribute external reference material (plagiarism)
    • bad time management (missing coursework deadlines)
    • use of Wikipedia (never!)
    • not taking sufficient notes in lectures.

    The academic system at London Met may be very different to the one at your home university so it is essential that you familiarise yourself with the academic regulations of the University. Failure to do so could mean failure to pass.

    European Health Insurance Card

    Please make sure you apply for a European Health Insurance Card. You'll need this card to be eligible for free healthcare under the National Health Service. For information on how to obtain the card in your country, please visit the European Commission's website.