Study Abroad programme  

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad programme at London Met is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend part of your degree living in London, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.

Join us for an unforgettable semester or year of full immersion and integration into a new culture whilst gaining academic credits towards your degree at your home institution. London Metropolitan University is one of the largest universities in London with around 11,000 students and offers you an exciting and vibrant experience as a study abroad student.

"My semester at London Met was an experience I will never forget. I found the people in the city and the University couldn't be more friendly and helpful. Being in London was amazing".

Cassandra Clark (Carthage College, Wisconsin).

"Study abroad is an experience I think everyone should take advantage of. The time in London and all of the other places I visited will be one of my life's greatest adventures! Being completely independent is a new feeling, and pushing myself outside my comfort zone has been really rewarding. I've met so many great people from all over Europe, and my time at uni wouldn't have been the same without London Met."

Chloe Antrobus (Loyola University, Chicago).


The Study Abroad programme is coordinated by the International Programmes Office. We have been partners with the State University of New York at Cortland for 30 years and we have many other partners including University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) based in Reno, Nevada.

The University is validated by the Middle States Association Commission on Higher Education and we have supported students from the United States of America, Brazil, Mexico, Norway, Switzerland, Russia, Turkey and many other countries in embarking on the Study Abroad programme.


     Why study abroad at London Metropolitan University? 

  • Join a community in the heart of the capital and study and live amongst world famous landmarks.
  • Take classes alongside students from all over the world.
  • Gain first-hand experience of the British educational system.
  • Choose modules from a flexible curriculum - combine subjects areas and choose modules (classes) from within and outside your subject area.
  • Take four 15 credit modules per semester, transferrable as a total of 12 US credits or 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System).
  • Participate in a tailored induction for study abroad students before formal teaching begins. Induction includes enrolment, orientation and a tour of London.
  • Integrate fully into the academic and social life of London Metropolitan University.
  • Complete an internship in a London based company (for an additional fee).
  • Join clubs for all social activities and use our wide range of fitness, sport and recreational facilities.
  • Have fun and make new friends!

Contact us

Whatever your query, please feel free to contact us. We're here to support you along every step of your study abroad experience, from applicant to alumnus.

International Programmes Office
London Metropolitan University
166-220 Holloway Road
London N7 8DB


How to apply


Study abroad partnerships

If your university has a Study Abroad partnership with London Metropolitan University please contact your university's International Office for details of costs.

Students applying independently

For students applying independently, the standard overseas undergraduate fee for 2017/18 is:

One semester: £5,700
Two semesters: £11,400

Postgraduate fees

Postgraduate fees depend on which master's degree you wish to follow for each semester. Please email with your area of interest. You must meet the standard course requirements. 


To be eligible for the study abroad programme you should:

  • be enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student at a recognised university or college
  • be in at least your second year of study (or completed at least one semester of postgraduate study)
  • have good academic standing: with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 (out of 4.0) (if from the USA) or a minimum C grade average


Non-native English speakers should have one of the following Secure English Language Test (SELT) scores:


If English is not your first language but you have achieved consistently high grades in English taught courses at university, it may not be necessary to have an additional English qualification. However, if you require a visa to enter the UK then you will need to take an English test from one of the providers above, which are approved by the Home Office.

Application packet

Please note that this is for non-EU applicants. If you're from the EU and want to apply please see our Study in London programme.

Complete a  Study Abroad application form and the ‌Study Abroad module registration form or, if you are a postgraduate student, a PG Study Abroad application form and the PG Study Abroad Module Registration Form and send them to the address below with the following enclosures:

  • university academic transcript
  • copy of Bachelor certificate if applying for postgraduate study
  • copy of your passport details page
  • one colour passport photo
  • proof of English language ability (if applicable)


International Programmes Office
London Metropolitan University
Holloway Hub
166-220 Holloway Road
N7 8DB


Your application will not be processed without all of the required documentation, including the module form (signed by an advisor) and academic reference. Please make sure you write your date of birth correctly, ie day/month/year not month/day/year.


Autumn semester or full academic year: 15 June
Spring semester: 15 November

What next?

We'll email you to confirm your application has been received. Once an admissions decision has been made, we'll email you with the result of your application and programme information.

Meanwhile, please take a look at the visa requirements and other pre-departure information in the tabs above.

Visa requirements

Do you need a visa?

  • All study abroad students will require either a Tier 4 visa or short-term study visa unless an EU passport is held.
  • Having short-term study status may require prior entry clearance.
  • One semester students not working at an internship organised by London Met will not receive a Tier 4 visa.


A Tier 4 visa will be required for students:

  • studying for a whole academic year
  • partaking in an internship if staying for one semester (arranged by London Met only)


A short-term study letter will be required for students studying for one semester and not participating in a London Met organised internship.

Prior entry clearance will be required for students taking the short-term study route (not Tier 4) from a country on the visa national list.


Visa application fees are £328 for a Tier 4 visa ($426 / NZD597) and £89 for a Short-term Study visa when the applicant is from a country on the Visa National list, otherwise there is no charge for a Short-term Study visa.


Information for non EU/EEA passport holders

Use the pages from the UK Home Office to find out whether you need to apply for a visa before you come to study in the UK. To check if you're a visa national please take a look at the appendix of the visa national list.

Please note:

  • All non EU/EEA students who participate in an internship organised by London Met will require a Tier 4 student visa.
  • All non EU/EEA students staying longer than six months will require a Tier 4 student visa.
  • All students holding a passport from a visa national country will require a Tier 4 student visa (if staying for more than six months) or a short-term study letter along with prior entry clearance from the Home Office (if staying for fewer than six months)


It is your responsibility to ensure that you apply in good time for a visa, if necessary.

Our role as your sponsor

Under the points based system, students who come to the UK to study must be sponsored by a specific educational institution. This means that the university that you study with must monitor your attendance and progress, and report students who fail to attend classes to the Home Office. Under the points based system, universities are known as Tier 4 sponsors.

Certificate of acceptance of studies (CAS) numbers and short-term study letters

The International Programmes Office (IPO) will issue a CAS to:

  • all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for a full year programme
  • all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for one semester and who will participate in an internship


The International Programmes Office (IPO) will issue a short-term study letter to:

  • all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for one semester of study
  • all students who hold a passport from a country on the visa national list studying for one semester (prior entry clearance will be required)

Applying for a Tier 4 student visa from overseas

The points based system requires students to score 40 points in order to be successful in getting a visa to study in the UK.

To be granted a visa you will need to:

  • have a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number (CAS is an electronic reference number and will be issued by London Metropolitan University (worth 30 points)
  • meet the maintenance requirement (worth 10 points)

Maintenance requirement

The maintenance requirement is evidence that you have sufficient funds to live in the UK (in addition to the cost of your tuition fees if applicable). This level is set at £1,265 per month in inner London (which includes Holloway, Aldgate and Moorgate campuses) up to a maximum of nine months. Please check the Home Office website for the most up to date information.

The total amount of money that you need to show for the maintenance requirement must remain in your bank account for 28 days before you make your visa application and must not go below the required amount at any time during the 28 days.

Please note: If you cannot show the funds in your own bank account, the only other relatives you can use as a sponsor are your parents (unless you have an official financial sponsor, eg a government or international organisation). If you want to use your parents' account you will need additional documents. 

Information on the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

People who need immigration permission to travel to or stay in the UK for longer than six months will be charged an additional sum as part of their immigration application. This will entitle them to receive free health services under the National Health Service.

The Tier 4 online application form will automatically calculate how much of the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) applicants have to pay and they will be able to make the IHS payment as part of their Tier 4 visa application. Please note, applicants who enter the IHS portal will have 30 minutes to complete the payment and return to the visa application. If applicants fail to complete the payment within 30 minutes, they will have to restart the visa application and make a new IHS payment.

The IHS for Tier 4 students is £150 per year. Each Tier 4 dependant will also be charged £150 per year.

If this period of leave is six months or less, the amount payable is half the specified amount, ie £75 for students and their dependants. If the period of leave is more than six months, the full £150 annual amount is payable. For example, if you're going to study on a 12-month course, you're likely to receive leave that starts one month before the start of your course and ends four months after the end of your course.

If you include the period of leave allowed before the course starts and after the course ends (one month and four months respectively), this adds up to a total of 17 months of leave. This means that you'll have to pay £150 (12 months) + £75 (additional five months, so less than six months) = £225.

Who is exempt from the Health Charge?

  • British Overseas Territories citizens who are resident in the Falkland Islands
  • those making an application for entry clearance of six months or less

Further details of the NHS Surcharge can be found on the Home Office website. For further information please contact one of our international student advisers on

English language requirements

The Home Office require proof of English language ability for students applying for a Tier 4 visa who are not from a majority English speaking country.

We are unable to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) until an approved test has been taken by incoming students and a copy of the results sent to us (the original certificate must be kept for your visa application). The test must be run by one of the two providers on the approved list.

Rather than merely meeting a certain overall level, there are minimum requirements in the different components – speaking, reading, writing and listening – that must be met.

Further information about approved testers and minimum requirements can be found on the Home Office website.

If taking an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam, you must achieve a minimum of 6.0 overall and at least 5.5 in each of of the four components of IELTS. If taking a Trinity College ISE II test you must achieve a B2 level in each component.

Please note that if you do not achieve the required level in all of the components, the test will not be valid for use in your visa application.

Find out more about student visas and how to apply

More information can be found at teh following locations:

If you have any questions, please email

Please note, we do our best to ensure the information provided here is accurate, but please check the Home Office website for the most up to date information and regulations.

What can I study?

At London Met, we offer our study abroad students a diverse range of modules, on either a semester or year-long basis. Please pay special attention to the semester and time slots in which the modules are available. You can only choose modules from the summary lists below. If you are staying for one semester only you cannot choose 30 credit modules. Please read the notes below as they are important.

 Business and Law modules 17/18

 Science and Computing modules 17/18

 Social Sciences, Social Professions, and Humanities modules 17/18

Please note:

  • 30 credits = full year module running early October to late May
  • 15 credits = semester module running in autumn or spring - if you are studying for one semester only then you must choose 15 credit modules
  • AM = classes occurring between 9am and 1pm
  • PM = classes occurring between 1pm and 6pm
  • PM+ = classes occurring between 6pm and 9pm

We also offer Art and Theatre in London modules specifically for study abroad students which last for one semester and are not on the main catalogue:

Art in London (AH201)

Explore the rich heritage of Europe through the many art galleries and museums that the city has to offer. With an emphasis on experiencing the culture of London, you will be able to view first hand some of the key areas in visual art from da Vinci, to Van Gogh, to Picasso, as well as contemporary artists. With such a diverse range of art available within London, use this class as a vehicle in which to improve your knowledge of the avant-garde and the relationship between concept and skill. See the Art in London course description to find out more about the course.

Theatre in London (TH201)

Allow yourself to be introduced to the breadth of theatre that London has available. View word class productions in the famous West End, watch Shakespeare performed with precision at the Globe Theatre and experience smaller venues like the Donmar Warehouse which are dedicated to showcasing only new writing. Visit backstage at many of the well-known production houses and through class discussion and practical workshops become acquainted with staging techniques, key practitioners and trends in different performance styles. See the Theatre in London course description to find out more.

Prerequisites and study levels

British university degree programmes are very specialised, with students choosing their major before starting university and usually taking three years to complete their degree. Modules taken in the first year are known as level 4 (4000), second year modules as level 5 (5000), and final year modules as level 6 (6000). By the time students reach their final year, they are very specialised in their field of study.

Our online course catalogues sometimes list prerequisites for particular modules. As far as possible students should have completed a similar course to that prerequisite at their home university in order to take such a module. However, if a prerequisite is not stated that does not mean that it is not required and the module is open to anyone. Second and third-year classes assume that the first (and second if applicable) year has been spent studying that subject. Therefore, if you are looking at second and third-year classes you must have had a fair amount of experience in that subject area.

When choosing your modules, please bear in mind that American and Japanese universities generally recognise that their second year classes are the equivalent to modules taken in the first year of study in the UK. 


Syllabi can be viewed in the university-wide online module catalogue.

Please note: Not all classes listed in the university-wide catalogue are available to Study Abroad students. You should check availability using the summary lists above.

Teaching semester: gives an indication in which semester the class will run (autumn/spring/year) It is not guaranteed that a module will be running in the current academic year. 

Module level: please read prerequisites and study levels

Time slot: The lists above show which timeslot and campus the class runs at. If more than one timeslot is offered, select the one that works best for you. You cannot take two classes in the same timeslot as they would clash.


What are modules?

A module is one unit of a degree course. Full-time undergraduate students at London Metropolitan University take four modules each semester.

Semester modules are worth 15 London Met credits = 3 US credit hours = 7.5 ECTS credits

Year modules are worth 30 London Met credits = 6 US credit hours = 15 ECTS credits

Are there any module restrictions?

If your home university agrees to credit transfer and you meet the pre-requisites for a module, you can take most modules which are on offer to undergraduate students. However, there are some which:

  • are only available to full year students
  • are off limits (These are classes that are based around placements or are part of an accredited degree and are therefore not open to study abroad students such as architecture, early years teaching and social work. Postgraduate classes are not available to undergraduate students – the module code will be **7*** (eg EC7015). Foundation classes are not available  the module code will be ***X** or ***F**)
  • require approval (These are classes that we may be able to place you in if you major or minor in this area but we need to seek departmental approval on a case by case basis.)
  • art and design
  • are very difficult (Study abroad students have struggled in this past with our accounting, law and business law classes as there is a significant emphasis on English law. If you are interested in taking classes in these areas then please email us for advice.)


All students intending to do an internship or volunteer must have a Tier 4 points based system (PBS) visa (please see the visa requirements tab for more information).


The Career Development and Employment Service coordinates internship placements for study abroad students. Please note that there is a fee for this service (currently £700).

We usually expect students to count the internship as one of their four modules of study, as most students are working towards internship credit at their home university. Students are expected to complete one day each week at the internship site so undertaking this as a fifth module would be a difficult commitment.

The careers officer spends a great deal of time searching for a suitable placement for applicants so please be certain you want to do an internship before making your application. Please also be realistic in your expectations; it is extremely difficult to secure internships at high-profile organisations.

The deadlines for internship applications are:

Autumn: 1 June 
Spring: 15 October 

For more information, visit the internships section of our website.

Jobs and career development

The Student Services careers team can help you with everything from updating your CV and finding a job in London to planning your future career and how to make the most of your study abroad experience. You can only work in the UK if you have a Tier 4 visa.

For more information, visit the careers section of our website.

Programme dates

If you're only staying for the autumn semester, you may be able to complete an alternative assessment (instead of taking exams, which occur in the third week of January), enabling you to leave just before Christmas.

If you're staying for a whole year or you're a European student, it is mandatory for you to complete the exams during the exam period in January. Spring semester students take exams in May. You should not plan to leave until you know your exam schedule, which is usually released three weeks before the examination period.

Autumn semester 2016/17

Arrival: By 26 September 2016
Orientation: 27-30 September 2016
Classes begin: 3 October 2016
Christmas break: 17 December 2016 - 8 January 2017 (you can leave just before Christmas if you start back at your own university just after New Year)
Examinations: 23 January - 3 February 2017 (for those coming back here in January)

Spring Semester 2016/17

Arrival: By 30 January 2017
31 January - 3 February 2017
Classes begin:
 6 February 2017
Easter break:
 8-23 April 2017 
Examinations: 15 May - 2 June 2017


Autumn semester 2017/18

Arrival: By 25 September 2017
Orientation: 26 - 29 September 2017
Classes begin: 2 October 2017
Christmas break: 16 December 2017 - 7 January 2018
Examinations: 22 January - 2 February 2018

Spring semester 2017/18

Arrival: By 29 January 2018
Orientation: 30 January - 2 February 2018
Classes begin: 5 February 2018
Easter break: 24 March - 8 April 2018
Examinations: 14 May - 1 June 2018



London Metropolitan University students have access to a variety of rooms in private halls of residence, convenient for both the City and North campus.

Alternatively, you can choose other types of accommodation such as:

  • Private rented accommodation, where you rent out a room in a flat or houseshare with other students
  • Homestay, where you pay to live in the home of a British family – this is particularly recommended to students who wish to improve their English language skills

London Met's Accommodation Bureau

London Met's Accommodation Bureau will be happy to provide advice and information to students looking for housing in London. There are links to accommodation providers, advice on short-term accommodation plus dates and times of house-hunting events that are put on by the Accommodation Bureau. There are also some very useful publications that you should read concerning your rights as a renter and how to protect your money.

If you arrive in London without accommodation then you should look at staying in a hostel while you search for somewhere to live. Our accommodation site has a list of recommended hostels and the facilities that they provide.

You can apply for accommodation directly to the Halls of Residence.

Please do not send any money to people claiming they are landlords of private rooms unless you are in London and have physically visited the room advertised.

Accommodation Bureau
Student Services
LCM-04 Learning Centre
Holloway Road

Tel: +44 (0) 207 133 3998
Fax: +44 (0) 207 133 3997


Acceptance, arrival and enrolment

Once you have been accepted onto the Study Abroad programme, you will receive the following:

  • An email confirming that you have been accepted onto the programme, and what you should do next
  • An Unconditional Offer letter, together with invoice and payment information if applicable
  • Immigration paperwork/email after you have confirmed your acceptance of your place
  • Joining instructions, shortly before the start of the course

Your classes will be registered by the International Programmes Office and we will only be in touch about this if a problem arises.

You will need to complete pre-registration online before you arrive at the university. Detailed instructions will be sent to you about this step nearer the time.


Enrolment and Orientation

During Welcome Week there will be an enrolment session where you register with the university, supply your passport details and immigration status and receive your Student ID card. 

Date                                         To be confirmed                      
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

There will then be various orientation sessions for all semester students where you will be provided with information about the services and facilities offered by the university and also general information about life in London, and guest speakers. This will be a good opportunity to meet other students. The first session takes place:

Date                                         To be confirmed                      
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

We offer a half-day tour of London by coach and boat as part of our orientation and often, international student parties are arranged. Making the most of your orientation week will set you up for the rest of your stay in London so make sure you don't miss anything!


Returning home

If you completed a semester at London Metropolitan University as a Study Abroad student, you, or the organisation you came through, will automatically be issued two copies of your transcript with your grades converted from UK to US grades unless you prefer a UK graded transcript (mainly New Zealand students). 

Grades are not released until March for the autumn semester or July for the spring semester. Therefore, if you are due to graduate immediately after your semester abroad then you need to take this into consideration as your home university may not allow you to graduate until they have received the results from London Metropolitan University.

Your transcripts will be sent out once all grades are confirmed (not provisional) and all monies owed are accounted for (tuition, library fines, etc.) If you have any outstanding debts then your transcript will not be sent to you until they are settled.

Additional Transcripts

Students who require additional transcripts when applying as a transfer student to another university or when applying to graduate school can request additional transcripts by following this process:

London Metropolitan University will issue an official transcript at a cost of £12.00 for one transcript and an additional £2.00 for each additional copy that you may require.

Payment must be received before the transcript request will be granted.  Please  download  our  Transcript Request Form and follow the instructions below:

  1. Make appropriate payment (see payment options below)

  2. Please contact and attach the transcript request form. Please include the complete address or addresses to which you wish to have London Metropolitan University send your transcripts. Please tell us the date and amount and method of the payment you made.

As soon as we receive confirmation of your payment we will send the transcripts out by normal post.

Payment Options

Pay using epay - (you will need your ID number), select tuition and pay the appropriate amount.  Please send us the email receipt that you get.


Credit Card Payment  

Telephone: + 44 207 133 2060 between 9.30 am and 5 pm UK time.  Please state how many transcripts you wish to request from the International Programmes Office and pay the correct amount.

Please give your name and indicate that you were a single semester Study Abroad student, stating the dates you attended London Metropolitan University and quote the reference SRM18S 0209 U0024


If you have any questions please contact us via email.

Frequently asked questions

Any questions before you embark on your exciting study abroad experience?

We have tried to answer as many of your Frequently Asked Questions as possible.

Please follow the links below and let us know if you have any outstanding queries!

  1. Do I need a visa?
  2. How much are living costs?
  3. How should I carry money?
  4. Can I open a bank account?
  5. Is London safe?
  6. Do I need insurance?
  7. Do I need to pay for medical care?
  8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?
  9. What is public transport like in London?
  10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?
  11. What should I do about a mobile phone?
  12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?
  13. What is the weather like, what clothes should I bring?
  14. Should I bring my own bedding and towels to the UK?
  15. Can I get help finding a job in London, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice?
  16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?
  17. Will I need to buy lots of books?
  18. What free stuff can I do in London?
  19. How can I get discounts?
  20. How do I get a council tax exemption certificate?
  21. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?
  22. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?
  23. I have lost my student ID card – what now?
  24. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?
  25. Can I come into the office to ask a question?
  26. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?

1. Do I need a visa?

Students who intend to stay longer than 6 months and those who are coming for less than 6 months but intend to complete a London Met arranged internship while studying are required to obtain a student visa before travelling to the UK.  Read our Visa section for more information.
[back to top]

2. How much are living costs?

Average weekly expenses excepting accommodation:

  • Food £40-£80.  You can eat very cheaply but the more you eat out, the more you’ll spend!
  • Travel (bus or tube pass) £8-£20
  • Personal (telephone, sport, entertainment, laundry) £75-£100. Again, it depends on you, if you’re going to gigs and football matches all the time, you’ll probably spend more!

Students say that they spend around £3,500-£4,500 (including accommodation) in a semester, but it varies a lot from person to person. London can be really cheap! There is a lot to see and do that’s absolutely free, see Timeout/London and Visit London for ideas. The costs start adding up when you want to travel a lot in Europe or go to lots of special events – the opportunities for fun are endless so it’s really up to you to work out your budget in advance and stick to it!
[back to top]

3. How should I carry money?

We don’t recommend travelling with a lot of cash. There are lots of cash machines that usually accept overseas credit and debit cards, check with your bank that your card will work overseas and be aware that you may be charged for using your card abroad.  You will need to know your PIN.  We recommend having one card for everyday use and one for emergencies.  Traveller’s cheques are also a good back up strategy and can be exchanged at banks, post offices and Bureaux de Change. 
[back to top]

4. Can I open a bank account?

It is not possible for students staying less than 6 months to open a UK bank account so only full year students can consider this. If you want to open an account you should visit a varity of banks and see what they require and what they can offer you. You will normally only need a basic bank account which allows you to withdraw money with a cash card but does not offer overdraft facilities or a cheque book.
[back to top]

    5. Is London safe?

    By international standards, Britain has low rates of street crime and violence but in any big city it’s worth taking a few simple safety precautions:

    • Plan your journey in advance when using public transport, particularly night buses. Transport for London (TFL) travel tools are very useful.
    • If you are planning to stay out late, try to travel home with a friend. Keep a taxi number and your fare handy.
    • Avoid walking alone at night and keep to well lit main roads.
    • Only use black cabs or licensed mini cabs from a cab office, be CABWISE (see the TFL web page on hiring cabs).
    • Consider how much alcohol you have had – it can affect your judgement of people and situations and change your perspective.
    • Don’t accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended.
    • Keep your personal belongings close to you and keep expensive items out of sight, particularly in bars and restaurants. Try not to carry too many valuables.
    • Do not walk about displaying your mobile phone, it is easy to grab.
    • Look out for your friends. Make sure you know where they are and keep in touch to make sure everyone gets home safely.

    [back to top]

    6. Do I need insurance?

    We strongly recommend that all students take out both medical (see below) and personal belongings insurance for the length of the study abroad period. This will protect you should your luggage go missing, your laptop be lost or your wallet get stolen. Make sure you keep the documents safe and know how to claim.

    Keep traveller’s cheque receipts separate from the actual cheques and make a photocopy of your passport and any other important documents. It is not necessary to carry your passport with you at all times, only when travelling outside the UK. If you do lose it, it’s easier to get a replacement if you have a copy.
    [back to top]

      7. Do I need to pay for medical care?

      Medical services are widely available but free healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS) is only available for residents and EU nationals.  Short term visitors (under 6 months) will be charged for all but emergency treatment.

      We strongly advise that you consult your medical insurance provider to see if your policy covers you overseas and if it covers emergency expenses such as evacuation/repatriation. If you do not already have overseas medical insurance coverage, you should purchase this for your period of study in the UK.
      [back to top]

      8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?

      First point of contact is the NHS website or see a pharmacist in a chemist.

      If you are here for only one semester then you will not be able to register with a doctor. You can find a Walk-in Clinic on the NHS website under "More services" on the homepage. These are clinics you can just turn up to and wait to see the doctor or nurse and then pay on the spot.

      The biggest pharmacy chain is Boots, which has branches all over London. There are also numerous smaller pharmacies and you can buy basic medication like painkillers in most supermarkets.
      [back to top]

      9. What is public transport like in London?

      There is an extensive network of underground and overground trains and buses in London. These are all maintained and run by Transport for London and are safe and convenient. We recommend all students get an Oyster card, which makes getting around town really quite cheap.
      [back to top]

      10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?

      You can apply to TFL online for a student Oyster card once you’re fully enrolled as a student of London Metropolitan University. You’ll enrol during orientation week so you can’t apply for your Student Oyster before you get to London.  As it will take a couple of weeks after applying to receive the card we recommend that you get a standard adult Oyster card as soon as you arrive in London as you’ll start saving money straight away. Either use pay-as-you-go on an Oyster card (cheaper than cash), or buy a 7-day travelcard.
      [back to top]

      11. What should I do about a mobile phone?

      You may be able to use your own mobile phone if it has ‘roaming’ enabled, check with your provider. However, this is expensive. We recommend getting a UK mobile, you can get a pay-as-you-go phone and sim card. There are many network providers with high street shops or visit The Carphone Warehouse, also on the high street, which carries all networks and brands. 

      We also recommend that you use Skype to keep in touch with home. It’s cheap and it’s easy!

      Alternatively, get an international calling card from a newsagent for cheap call rates. Outward international dialling codes from the UK can be found in the British Telecom phonebook. To dial the USA from the UK dial 001, to call the UK from the USA dial 011 44

      [back to top]

      12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter? 

      The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. 

      To use an appliance from home you will need an adaptor, available from electrical shops, hardware stores and Boots the Chemist.

      [back to top]

      13. What is the weather like? What clothes should I bring?

      Britain has a temperate climate and London is one of the mildest areas in the UK.  However, the weather can be unpredictable; Londoners get used to carrying sunglasses and an umbrella to be prepared for anything! Our top tip? Layers! You will need a warm waterproof coat but expect to be in a t-shirt when you get onto the tube or into a sunny park.
      [back to top]

      14. Should I bring my own bedding, towels, hairdryers etc to the UK?

      Of course it’s up to you but it’s simple and cheap to buy these things here, so we normally recommend that you save yourself the trouble of carrying them over. Usually the simplest place to buy these things is from one of the big chain stores.

      The main supermarkets, which not only sell food etc., but often cheap bedding and towels and sometimes electricals too, are Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose.

      Bedding, towels and electricals can also be bought from clothes/home stores ranging from department stores like John Lewis or Debenhams, to cheap shops like Primark and Argos. 
      [back to top]

      15. Can I get help finding a job in London, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice?

      Yes, the Career Development and Employment Service is part of Student Services, located on the first floor of the Tower Building.  They can help with everything from finding a part-time job or volunteering opportunity, to brushing up your CV and planning what to do after you graduate. This only applies if you have a Tier 4 visa.

      [back to top]

      16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?

      Your timetable will be available to view once you have enrolled during orientation week. Up to this point we will regularly check module registrations submitted to us and contact you if there are any problems. If we do not contact you, then we are registering you for your first choice modules. Please ensure that your modules have been accepted for transfer to your home university.
      [back to top]

      17. Will I need to buy lots of books?

      Reading lists for each module can be seen in the module description in the module catalogue. However, we don't recommend buying any books in advance as most set texts will be held in one of our libraries for your use. You may have to buy a few important textbooks but, in general, students do not spend much money on books.
      [back to top]

      18. What free stuff can I do in London?

      Many London museums and art galleries are free, some special exhibitions will be ticketed but students usually qualify for reduced entry. Here are some of the larger, better known institutions:

      You can also explore places like Southbank full of famous markets and so many other things it’s impossible to list them all. Although some, like Timeout, have tried.

      [back to top]

      19. How can I get discounts?

      An international student identity card (ISIC) will provide you with discounts at several sites and attractions in both London and the rest of Europe. They can be purchased from local travel agents, for example STA Travel

      You could also get a NUS extra card which is the most widely recognised proof of student status in the UK. Apply online. It costs £12 for a year but you should soon cover that cost with the discounts you will receive.

      For cheaper theatre tickets, you can arrive an hour before the performance with your ISIC/NUS card and queue for available seats at discount prices or select the student option when booking online. Also try the half price booth in Leicester Square (cash only).

      Student ID cards will ensure a discount at most mainstream cinemas but it’s also worth seeking out some smaller venues.
      [back to top]

      20. How do I get a Council Tax exemption certificate?

      You can get Council Tax exemption certificates from your Hub. However, if you share a house with non-students then you will be liable for Council Tax as it is a tax on the property. Therefore it is better to share only with students.
      [back to top]

      21. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?

      You will not usually be required to show any documents on re-entry to the UK if you meet all 3 of these requirements:

      1. The last time you were given permission to stay in the UK it was for more than 6 months
      2. You will re-enter the UK before your UK visa runs out
      3. Your circumstances have not changed since you got your visa.

      However, it is advisable to carry in your hand luggage:

      1. An enrolment letter showing duration of your course (request from your Hub), proof of fees paid and UK address
      2. Proof you have enough money to support yourself (your bank statements/letter from your sponsor)

      If you were given permission to enter/remain in the UK for 6 months or less you need to carry a recent proof of enrolment letter which confirms that you still have the remaining duration of your course to complete in the UK.
      [back to top]

      22. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?

      Go to the Student Zone on the London Met website which will have everything you need, including Webmail, Evision, Examtrack, Student Services...
      [back to top]

      23. I have lost my student ID card – what now?

      New student ID cards cost £12. You must go to the cashiers’ office in the Tower building, pay £12 and get a receipt. Then take this receipt to your Hub and they will be able to print a new card immediately.

      If your ID card and/or travel card has been stolen, you should report this to the police. You can do this online on the Metropolitan Police website.

      Once you have your crime reference number, you need to contact Transport for London (Oyster card only) and your Hub (Student ID card only). Stolen ID cards are replaced free of charge by the university.
      [back to top]

      24. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?

      Unless otherwise indicated, you should hand in coursework to your Hub. Increasingly though, coursework is submitted through Weblearn or TurnItIn. Please read the information in the Student Zone about Coursework and Exams. Papers that are handed in late will be capped at 40%. Remember to download a coversheet from your Evision account for every piece of coursework that you hand in and make sure you receive a confirmation of submission email to your university email account.

      [back to top]

      25. Can I come into the office to ask a question?

      Yes, we’re here to help. Office hours are 11-1 and 3-5 for drop in. If you can’t make it during these hours, please email us for an appointment.
      [back to top]

      26. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?

      We send these out once grades are released by the University. This happens in March (for autumn), July (for spring) and September (reassessments). We will send them to your school/group you applied through or directly to you if you applied independently. We supply a copy for you and one for your school. If you require any further copies, they must be requested and paid for. See the Returning home tab for more information.
      [back to top]

      This page introduces you to what previous students have thought and learnt about London.  


      "I truly enjoyed my time at London Met University! It really did meet my expectations plus more! I thought that London Met had a great set of professors working on the staff. I felt that I had a great connection with my professors and having a smaller class setting was perfect. Having a small number of students in each class made it easy to learn and also made it a lot easier to comment in class. Overall I had a wonderful experience at London Met and if given the opportunity to study there again, I would in a heartbeat!"

      Lucas Liley, Boise State University, through the University Studies Abroad Consortium [USAC], Spring semester 2013/14


      Mikael Redmond, California State University through USAC

      After spending January until May in London, Mikael from California wrote about his views and experiences of London.

      Beth Arsenault, Hood College through USAC

      This is Beth's blog of her London semester, reflecting on her experiences in the city and travelling around Europe.

      Michael Flatt, San Diego State University

      "Studying abroad in London, England was the single best decision I have made while in college."

      Mike has written this guide to the whole experience, with everything you could want to know from a visitor's perspective.

      Shannon Dempsey, Millersville University

      Shannon stayed in Nido accommodation for the duration of her study abroad experience (a full year), and wrote a King's Cross area guide for future students to use.

      Miriam Kuhn, London Metropolitan University

      As an exchange student from London to New York, Miriam realised how difficult it was to find reasonably-priced deals and therefore came up with a guide for future study abroad students visiting London.