Informatics Research Centre (IRC)
Research Centre Details
The inter-school University research centre epitomizes London Met's interdisciplinary culture. Informatics is an interdisciplinary and complex area of study by integrating technology-centred and human-centred approaches from the perspective of information system science. With research funding from EC, KTP, etc and lead by Professor Dr Yong Xue, the Informatics Research Centre (IRC) consists of 12 research staff and conducts research into:
- Fundamental research questions, both in theoretical and practical aspects of Data Science, related to processing, mapping, codifying, extracting, and utilising various forms of knowledge and information in firms and organisations.
- Developing innovative methods, models and tools for the extraction of information and knowledge from Big Data, management of Intellectual Capital (IC), innovation and learning capability to help UK enterprises sustain their core knowledge-based competencies and competitiveness advantage in the knowledge economy.
The IRC members have extensive research experiences in knowledge management, bioinformatics, databases, environment informatics, semantic web, data warehousing and data mining, neural networks, Grid semantics, e-Science and cyber security, mobile learning objects and e-Learning, blended learning, multi-literacies and pedagogy, e-Health, e-security, HCI and mobile technologies.
These experiences have been acquired through PhD supervisions and funded research project, which are disseminated through hundreds of publications in peer reviewed international conferences and well-known journals.
Professor Dr Yong Xue
Director of the Informatics Research Centre
Faculty of Life Sciences and Computing,
London Metropolitan University,
166-220 Holloway Rd,
London N7 8DB, UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7133 4385
- Dr Jianming Cai – Senior Lecturer in Computer Sciences
Research interests: digital forensics, information security, and IT security management
- Dr Yanguo Jing – Associate Professor in Computer Sciences
Research interests: mobile and internet technology, mobile learning, web design, intelligent user interface agents, multi-agent systems and user modelling
- Professor Hassan Kazemian – Professor
Research interests: artificial intelligence, mobile computing
- Dr Romas Mikusauskas – Senior Lecturer in Animation and Computer Graphics, Information Systems
Research interests: 3D modelling, animation and computer graphics, CAD/CAM, information systems analysis and design, software engineering, project management
- Professor Karim Ouazzane – Professor of Computing and Knowledge Exchange
Research interests: neural network, artificial intelligence
- Professor Dominic Palmer-Brown – Dean of the Faculty of Life Sciences and Computing
Research interests: neural network approaches to data mining, pattern recognition and natural language processing, cognitive science and user modelling, virtual learning environments and the modal learning approach to neural computing
- Dr Peiyuan Pan – Senior Lecturer in Computer Sciences
Research interests: software system development; web-based applications, application of artificial intelligence technologies, embedded systems development. e-manufacturing and global manufacturing systems
- Dr Sahithi Siva – Academic Leader
Research interests: human–computer interaction (HCI), user-centred design, usability engineering, e-literacy, knowledge management, semantic web, e-commerce/m-commerce, cloud computing
- Dr Vassil Vassilev – Senior Lecturer
Research interests: semantic web, intelligent technologies, web services, system integration, distributed systems
- Dr Tingkai Wang – Senior Lecturer
Research interests: mobile robots, intelligent systems, artificial intelligence (AI), control system (including neuro-control and expert control), image and signal processing, system modelling and simulation, virtual reality, knowledge and data engineering etc
- Dr. Kenneth White – Reader in Applied Biology
Research Interests: bioinformatics.
- Professor Yong Xue – Reader in Computation
Research Interests: middleware development for geocomputation on spatial information grid, aerosol, Earth surface energy exchange, Digital Earth, high spatial resolution remote sensing image processing and telegeoprocessing
- Dr Qicheng Yu – Senior Lecturer
Research interests: data warehousing, data mining, business intelligence, web mining and search, database applications development, web applications development, computer games development
- H. Kazemian, K. White and D. Palmer-Brown, Applications of Evolutionary SVM to Prediction of Membrane Alpha-Helices, Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 40, Issue 9, July 2013, Pages 3412–3420.
- Jie Guang, Yong Xue, Leiku Yang, Linlu Mei, and Xingwei He, 2013, A Method for Retrieving Land Surface Reflectance Using MODIS Data. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 6(3), 1564 - 1570. (DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2013.2259145) (IF: 2.874)
- Linlu Mei, Yong Xue, Alexander A. Kokhanovsky, Wolfgang von Hoyningen-Huene, Larysa Istomina, Gerrit de Leeuw, John P. Burrows, Jie Guang, and Yanguo Jing, 2013, Aerosol optical depth retrieval over snow using AATSR data. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 34:14, 5030-5041. (DOI:10.1080/01431161.2013.786197) (IF: 1.138)
- Yingjie Li, Yong Xue, Gerrit de Leeuw, Chi Li, Leiku Yang, Tingting Hou, Farhi Marir, Retrieval of aerosol optical depth and surface reflectance over land from NOAA AVHRR data. Remote Sensing of Environment, 133, 1-20, 2013. (IF: 5.103)
- J Liu, Y Xue, J Dong, Z Q Chen, Y G Jing and L L Liu, 2013, Necessities and current solutions for rapid aerosol optical depth quantitative retrieval. In Proceedings of the 35th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment held at Beijing, China, April 22-26, 2013.
- Chi Li, Yong Xue, Tingkai Wang, 2013, Sensitivity Analysis of Aerosol’s Impacts on Satellite Signal under Various Observing Conditions. In Proceedings of the 35th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment held at Beijing, China, April 22-26, 2013.
- Jianming Cai and Michael Ghebru, An Experiment Environment for Teaching Ethical Hacking and Penetration Test at the Workshop on Cyber Security Pedagogy, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, University of Warwick, UK. April 19 2013,
- Ionita A., Jing Y., (2012), Mobile and Service-Oriented Approaches for Remote Connection to Medical Records, Proceedings of International INSEED Workshop on Fostering Innovation in Healthcare Services, March 14 - 15, 2012, Brasov, ROMANIA
- J. Guang, Y. Xue, Y. J. Li, S. L. Liang, L.L. Mei and H. Xu, 2012, Retrieval of Aerosol Optical Depth over Bright Land Surfaces by Coupling Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function Model and Aerosol Retrieval Model. Remote Sensing Letter, 3 (7), 577-584. (10.1080/01431161.2011.642322)
- Linlu Mei, Yong Xue, Hui Xu, Jie Guang, Yingjie Li, Ying Wang, Jianwen Ai , Yang Qi, Shuzheng Jiang, Xingwei He, 2012, Validation and analysis of aerosol optical thickness retrieval over land. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 33, issue 3 (10 February, 2012), 781-803. (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2011.577831) (IF: 1.117)
- Marir, F., Jing Y, Mukhopadhyay S, Dutta J, Kalra D. (2012)” m-HealthProactive Anti-obesity System: a new mobile tool to combat childhoodobesity”, accepted to appear in Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR)(http://www.jmir.org/)
- Mei, L., Xue, Y., de Leeuw, G., Holzer-Popp, T., Guang, J., Li, Y., Yang, L., Xu, H., Xu, X., Li, C., Wang, Y., Wu, C., Hou, T., He, X., Liu, J., Dong, J., and Chen, Z., 2012, Retrieval of aerosol optical depth over land based on a time series technique using MSG/SEVIRI data, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 9167-9185. (doi:10.5194/acp-12-9167-2012). (IF: 5.520)
- Ouazzane K., Li J., Kazemian H., Jing Y., Boyd R., (2012), An Artificial Intelligence-Based Language Modeling Framework, Expert Systems with Applications, PII: S0957417411016678 DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.11.121
- Ying Wang, Yong Xue, Yingjie Li, Jie Guang, Linlu Mei, Hui Xu and Jianwen Ai, 2012, Prior knowledge supported aerosol optical depth retrieval over land surface at 500m spatial resolution with MODIS data. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 33, issue 3 (10 February, 2012), pp.674-691. (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2011.577832)
- Yingjie Li, Yong Xue, Xingwei He, Jie Guang, 2012, High-Resolution Aerosol Remote Sensing Retrieval over Urban Areas by Synergetic use of HJ-1 CCD and MODIS Data. Atmospheric Environment, 46, 173-180. (DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.10.002) (IF: 3.226)
- Yong Xue, Xiaowen Li, Zengyuan Li and Cunxiang Cao, 2012, Prior Knowledge Based Retrieval and Validation of Information from Remote Sensing Data at Various Scales. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 33(3), pp. 665-673. (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2011.577839) (IF: 1.117)
- J. Guang, Y. Xue, Y. Wang, Y. J. Li, L. L. Mei, H. Xu, S. L. Liang, J. D. Wang, and L. Y. Bai, 2011, Simultaneous determination of aerosol optical thickness and surface reflectance using ASTER visible to near-infrared data over land. International Journal of Remote Sensing, Volume 32, Issue 22, pages 6961-6974. (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2011.551846)
- Jing Y., Chalk P., Siva S. (2011) "An Initiative for developing Student Employability through Student Enterprise Workshops", The HEA ICS Conference - Enhancing employability of computing students, 2011, Derby
- Jing Y., Patel P., Chalk P., (2011), FACILITATING THE IMPACT OF GRADUATES ON STUDENT EMPLOYABILITY, ITALICS Volume 10 Issue 2 June 2011 - ISSN: 1473-7507, available on http://www.ics.heacademy.ac.uk/italics/vol10iss2.htm.
- Jing, Y, Chalk, P, Siva, S & Preeti Patel (2011) ‘Further development of the Student Enterprise Workshops (SEWs) to develop Student Employability’, London Met Learning & Teaching Conference, 28/6/11.
- LiJ., Ouazzane K., Kazemian H., Jing Y., Boyd R. (2011), "A neural network based solution for automatic typing errors correction", the International Journal of Neural Computing & Applications, 20:889-896, DOI: 10.1007/s00521-010-0492-3
- Mei, L., Xue, Y., de Leeuw, G., Guang, J., Wang, Y., Li, Y., Xu, H., Yang, L., Hou, T., He, X., Wu, C., Dong, J., and Chen, Z., 2011: Integration of remote sensing data and surface observations to estimate the impact of the Russian wildfires over Europe and Asia during August 2010, Biogeosciences, 8, 3771–3791. (doi:10.5194/bg-8-3771-2011) (IF: 3.859)
- Yong Xue, Dominic Palmer-Brown, Huadong Guo, 2011, The Use of High Performance and High Throughput Computing for the Fertilization of Digital Earth and Global Change Study. International Journal of Digital Earth, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp185-210. (DOI: 10.1080/17538947.2010.535569)
- Yong Xue, Jianwen Ai, Wei Wan, Huadong Guo, Yingjie Li, Ying Wang, Jie Guang, Linlu Mei, and Hui Xu, 2011, Grid-Enabled High-Performance Quantitative Aerosol Retrieval from Remotely Sensed Data. Computers & Geosciences, vol. 37, pp.202-206. (DOI:10.1016/j.cageo.2010.07.004).
- Yong Xue, Ziqiang Chen, Hui Xu, Jianwen Ai, Shuzheng Jiang, Yingjie Li, Ying Wang, Jie Guang, Linlu Mei, Xijuan Jiao, Xingwei He, Tingting Hou，2011, A High Throughput Geocomputing System for Remote Sensing Quantitative Retrieval and a Case Study. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 13 (1), pp.902–911. (DOI:10.1016/j.jag.2011.06.006)
- Q. Dang, P. Pan, and T. Wang, (2011) "A Holistic Approach to Design, Delivery and Evaluation of Courseware for E-Learning"; e-Teaching and Learning Workshop, the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences (HEA-ICS), University of Greenwich, 1 June 2011.
- Q. Dang, T. Wang, P. Pan & P. Chalk, (2011) 'A Virtual Surgery to Support Learning Introductory Programming', HEA-ICS 11th Programming, BCS, April 2011.
- G. Ma, Y. Li, W. Li, P. Pan, (2011); A Process Model and Method of Idea Generation for Conceptual Design; Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering, Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacturing. April 2011, Vol 225(4), pp 568-586.
- X. Liu, Y. Li, P. Pan, W. Li, (2011); Research on Computer-aided Creative Design Platform Based on Creativity Model; International Journal of Expert Systems with Applications. ISSN: 09574174, Vol 38(8), pp 9973-9990.
- T. Wang, Q. Dang, P. Pan, (2011) A Predict- Fuzzy Logic Protocol for Multi-Robotic cooperation and competition; Journal of Communications, May 2011, Vol 6(3), pp225-231.
- Jing Y., Ghebru M, Chalk P, Siva S. (2010), "An Initiative for developing Student Employability through Student Enterprise Workshops", Extended abstract and presentation at London Metropolitan University Learning and Teaching Conference 2010
- Yong Xue, Jianwen Ai, Wei Wan, Yingjie Li, Ying Wang, Jie Guang, Linlu Mei, Hui Xu, Qiang Li, and Linyan Bai, 2010, Workload and Task Management of Grid- Enabled Quantitative Aerosol Retrieval from Remotely-Sensed Data. Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 20, pp590-598. (DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2009.11.003)
- Jianming CAI, Angeliki Parianou, and Bo Li, “Enhancing the Experience in Network Incident Investigations”, 6th Annual Workshop on the Teaching Computer Forensics, Sunderland, Sunderland University, 2010, UK
- S. Ahmed, P. Pan, S. Tang, (2010); Clustering Websites Using a MapReduce Programming Model; Journal of Communication and Computer, ISSN 1548-7709, USA; Sep. 2010, Vol 7(9).
- T. Wang, Q. Dang, P. Pan, (2010); Path Planning Approach in An Unknown Environment; International Journal of Automation and Computing, Aug. 2010, Vol 7(3), pp 310-316.
- Jianming CAI and Ayoola Afonja, “Virtualising Computer Forensics”, 5th Annual Workshop on the Teaching Computer Forensics, Sunderland, Sunderland University, 2009, UK
- J. Ai, Y. Xue, J. Guang, Y. Li, Y. Wang, and L. Bai, 2009, Grid Workflow Modeling for Remote Sensing Retrieval Service with Tight Coupling. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol. 5545, p. 349-356.
- Jianping Guo, Yong Xue, Chunxiang Cao, Hao Zhang, Jie Guang, Xiaoye Zhan and Xiaowen Li, 2009, A synergic algorithm for retrieval of aerosol optical depth over land. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, 26(5), pp973-983. (DOI: 10.1007/s00376-009-7218-4)
- Li J., Ouazzane K., Jing Y., Kazemian H., Boyd R. (2009), "Evolutionary Ranking on Multiple Word Correction Algorithms Using Neural Network Approach", the 11th International Conference on Engineering Applications of Neural Networks, London, 2008- 2009
- Li J., Ouazzane K., Jing Y., Kazemian H., Boyd R. (2009), "Focused time-delay neural network modelling towards typing stream prediction", IADIS International Conference Intelligent Systems and Agents 2009, Portugal, 21 - 23 June 2009
- Li J., Ouazzane K., Jing Y., Kazemian H., Boyd R. (2009), "Typing Stream Neural Networks Modelling", (under review), the Journal of Knowledge Engineering
- Q Yu, J McCann, F F Cai, “An Agent-based Join Algorithm for Distributed Data Warehousing”, 1st International Conference on Adaptive and Self-adaptive Systems and Applications, Greece. IEEE Computational World (2009).
- Y. Xue, F.M. Hoffman, and D. Liu, 2009, GeoComputation 2009. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol. 5545, p. 345-348.
- Yong Xue, Jianping Guo, and Xiaoye Zhang, 2009, Aerosol Optical Thickness Retrieval over non-Lambertian Land Surface with Synergistic Use of AATSR Radiance Measurements and MODIS Derived Albedo Model Parameters. Atmospheric Research, Vol. 93, pp736–746. (DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2009.02.013)
- Yong Xue, Huadong Guo, Wei Wan, Jianqin Wang and Ying Luo, 2008, Overview and preliminary idea for the building Digital Earth with grid computing technology. International Journal of Digital Earth, Vol. 1, No. 2, June 2008, 1-6.
- Yong Xue, Wei Wan, Yingjie Li, Jie Guang, Linyian Bai, Ying Wang and Jianwen Ai, 2008, A Data Intensive Scientific Computing Framework for Quantitative Retrieval of Geophysical Parameters using Satellite Data, IEEE Computer, Vol. 41(4), pp.33-40.
- Yong Xue, Yanguang Wang, Ying Luo, Jianping Guo, Jianqin Wang, Yincui Hu, and Chaolin Wu, 2008, InterCondor: A Prototype High Throughput Computing Middleware for Geocomputation. Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, Vol. 5102, pp.630–637.
- Yong Xue, Yingjie Li, Jie Guang, Xiaoye Zhang and Jianping Guo, 2008, Small Satellite Remote Sensing and Applications - History, Current and Future. International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 29(15), pp4339-4372.
The IRC built extensive research experience following their involvement in a large number of funded projects by the EU, ESA, Teaching Company Schemes, Knowledge Transfer Partnership and private companies.
Current funded Projects:
- mWorld: Producing interactive mobile apps to support work placement and Work related learning students, (PI: Dr. Yanguo Jing), 2013, £2000, University Teaching Fellow grant.
- EC/FP-7 Collaborative Project: Monitoring and Assessment of Regional air quality in China using space Observations, Project Of Long-term sino-european co-Operation (“MarcoPolo”). 2014 – 2016, 10K Euros (Co-PI: Dr. Yong Xue)
- ESA – NRSCC Dragon Cooperation Programme: Non-linear dynamics of the remotely-sensed atmospheric data and modelling; Implications to Climate & Earth system science; Case studies for Athens (Greece) and Beijing (China) (Co-PI: Dr. Yong Xue, 2012 – 2016)
- ESA – NRSCC Dragon Cooperation Programme: Air quality Monitoring and Forecasting in China (Co-PI: Dr. Yong Xue, 2012 – 2016)
Completed Research Projects:
- eRaUI: e-Research Adaptive User Interface - Strand C, £38,500, funded by JISC, 2011, (Co-investigator: Dr. Yanguo Jing).
- The development of an iPhone app for "Classical Music", a WOW agency project, £5,400, 2010, (PI: Dr. Yanguo Jing)
- Knowledge Connect Project, An embedded video training platform for the "Good Vibes" gym, £10,000, 2009, (PI: Dr. Yanguo Jing)
- Knowledge Connect Project, Code K0406, Project name: CAL2CAL, £10,000, 2009, (Co-investigator: Dr. Yanguo Jing)
- Knowledge Connect project, "Development of a Software training strategy" for Sprintware, funded by London Development Agency, £8,000, 2007, (PI: Dr. Yanguo Jing)
- Low Lying Water Bodies And Wetland Monitoring Exploiting In Situ Data And Earth Observation Imagery, In Terms Of Quality, Biodiversity Dynamic Trends And Risk Management (Co-PI: Dr. Yong Xue, 2008 – 2011, ESA – NRSCC Dragon Cooperation Programme)
Current PhD students and Research Topics:
- Khurram Majeed, “Investigation Leading To Behaviour-Based Hybrid Intrusion Detection System for Mobile Devices”
Supervision team: Dr. Yanguo Jing
- Cesar Peluso, “A Study on the Impact and Implications of User Behaviour on Online Information Retrieval”
Supervision team: Dr. Yanguo Jing
- Cosmas Abong Fonche, “The Influence of Simulation in the Design and Development of Industries and Products”
Supervision team: Dr. Yanguo Jing
- Carl Smith, “Investigate methods for designing augmented contexts for leaning that support and scaffold architectural understanding using mixed reality environments”
Supervision team: Dr. Yanguo Jing
- Mr. Hassan Abdella "Development of new Algorithms for Query optimisation for Distributed Data warhouses"
Supervision team: Dr Fang Fang Cai and Dr Sahiti Siva
- Mr. Syed Faizan Hussain Zaidi "Developing a Disease-Treatment Ontology"
Supervisors: Dr. Sahiti Siva and Dr. Vassil Vassilev
- Mr. Gaga Thomas Ali "Developing a framework and methods for the development of knowledge management systems: A case study of Nigeria Postal Service"
Supervisors: Dr. Romas Mikusauskas and Dr. Preeti Patel
Completed PhD Students and Research Topics:
- Dr. Wondimagegn MALLEDE, 2013, “Mapping Relational Databases to Semantic Web using Domain-Specific Knowledge”
Supervision team: Professor Farhi Marir (Director of Study), Dr Vassil Vassilev (Lead Supervisor) and Dr Yanguo Jing.
- Dr. Mei Qi, 2009, “Culture Impacts on Learning Objects Design and Evaluation”
Supervisor team: Prof T Boyle, Dr. Xue Yong
- Dr. Kamel Zerzour, 2005, “Development of a dynamic object model for indexing and retrieving video images”
Supervision team: Professor Farhi Marir and Dr Xue Yong
- Dr Hassan Ismail "Design of algorithms for Physical Data Warehouse Design to Speed up Decision-making Processes"
Supervision team: Professor Farhi Marir and Dr Fang Fang Cai
- Dr. Jun Li, “Noisy Language Modeling Framework Using Neural Network Techniques”
Supervision team: Dr. Yanguo Jing