Working in Collage (short course)
Why study this course?
Excellent for illustrators, designers and creatives, this six-week evening short course will help you explore and express your ideas and concepts through the medium of collage. You'll get hands-on experience using a mix of different media, and you'll build on your existing Photoshop skills. As part of the course, your work will be exhibited.
What is collage and how can it be developed as a style? In what ways can multimedia collage be worked with? During this Working in Collage short course, you will experiment with collage and its flexibility, working on a series of illustrations and showcasing your work in an exhibition space.
Your tutor on this course will be Joe Cruz.
The course is suitable if you are seeking new ideas and inspiration as an illustrator or artist who wants to expand and experiment in your work.
Please note, this course requires basic Photoshop skills.
The course covers a range of topics, including:
- introduction to collage and illustrators who work with multimedia
- the place of collage in current illustration and design and how it is developing
- collage processes that are used today
- how different materials can be used and how to experiment with them
- how to get started, including fast output and experimentation workshops
- workshops and live briefs that engage with multimedia and work with narrative and layout
- basic Photoshop editing and how to prepare collage work for simple digital output
"Joe Cruz is a very skilful tutor. I felt motivated by the class in exploring my practice further and taking more creative risks. I certainly learnt a lot from this experience."
By the end of the course, you will gain:
- hands-on experience with materials and collage techniques
- exposure and awareness of current practices
- development of techniques and practices to develop and take forward ideas into new work
- experience of showing your own work, installing and curating artwork in a gallery space
- basic image correction experience in Photoshop and skills in using scanners
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One evening a week for six weeks|
|Day and time||
Monday, 6pm to 8pm
|Maximum class size||15|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
The course fee includes the cost of materials.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.