Upholster a Traditional Kidney Shape Stool - Masterclass (short course)
Why study this course?
This masterclass is an excellent next step for those who already know how to upholster a traditional stuff and stitched straight edge. By the end of this short course, you will have constructed a traditionally upholstered kidney shaped stool that you can take home with you.
This course is taught through a series of master classes after which students will create a stuff and stitched edge 'well seat' that flows with the frame lines of a kidney shaped stool, using both concaved and convex curves. Students will produce a traditionally upholstered kidney shaped stool that they will take away with them at the end of the 3-day masterclass. The course provides an opportunity for students to further their skills and techniques used in traditional upholstery.
This course is suitable for those with some prior experience with traditional upholstery and who wish to develop their skills in knowing what is meant by the proper disposition of materials placed on the foundation of webs.
Students will learn techniques such as:
- stitching the seat pad into shape
- forming a “well seat”
- tensioning fabrics
- finishing details
This course includes a series of short master classes followed by the student creating a kidney shaped stool completed with their own choice of fabric. Tuition will be by a variety of teaching methods including demonstration and instructions, one–to-one tutorial guidance, group discussions and critiques. It is important to note that the course is practical requiring a degree of manual dexterity and students will need to participate fully to get the most out of the course.
By the end of the course, students will have:
- advanced their skills in the use of the double pointed needle and the regulator
- learnt how to form a given shape using traditional upholstery techniques and materials
- created a soft area, known as a well seat, of stuffing by making a well surrounded by a roll edge using coir fibre and hair
- learnt how stitch and manipulate materials using basic hand tools and needles and how to follow fine contours of a given frame
- learnt how to hand stitch a well seat using traditional stitching methods
|Course dates||30 July to 1 August|
|Day and time||Monday to Wednesday, 10am to 4pm|
|Maximum class size||12|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there may be additional charges for materials. The cost of materials depends on the scale of the project.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.