Recycle Your Old Jewellery (short course)
Why study this course?
This short course will introduce you to the casting techniques and methods involved in turning your old jewellery into new items. You can bring in as much of your old jewellery as you like in order to create exciting and innovative designs.
This course will give you the opportunity to create new pieces of jewellery by deconstructing and reconstructing old jewellery through casting. You'll learn and develop your knowledge about sand and cuttlefish casting and how to create a mould. You'll also be able to develop a sense for design and the different ways to approach this.
The more old jewellery that you bring in, the more options you have for creating new jewellery by melting and remaking from the old. You can also bring scrap silver or gold if you have any.
Throughout the course, you will:
- learn how to make a mould in cuttlefish and how to melt and cast precious metal
- learn and practice how to make a mould with delft clay and how to cast in sand
- deconstruct existing jewellery and reconstruct it by using either sand or cuttlefish casting
- melt existing jewellery pieces, cast onto existing pieces and cast into the existing piece
- refine the pieces made so far and practise more casting
By the end of the course, you will have:
- learnt about sand and cuttlefish casting, and how to melt and cast with precious metal
- gained an insight into mould making and be able to practice it
- developed your creative thinking and making process through deconstructing and reconstructing
- grown in understanding of the health and safety aspects of casting with precious metal
Visit the staff page of Kelvin J. Birk to find out more about the tutor for this course.
This course is suitable if you have some experience in jewellery making and wish to develop your creative approach to jewellery making and learn about casting.
"The tutor has an excellent teaching style and in addition to what was produced, I gained practical and technical knowledge that will improve my jewellery making overall."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One day a week for four sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
All tools and other materials will be provided. However, you might also need to purchase silver or gold depending on the quantity of old jewellery you bring in.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.