Portfolio Preparation for 16-18 Year Olds (Architecture, Spatial Design and Interior Architecture) (short course)
Why study this course?
This course will teach you how to produce a portfolio of work that is needed when applying for undergraduate courses in architecture, interior architecture, and spatial and urban design. Highlights include life drawing, visits to London museums and exhibition and how to present your portfolio.
During this week-long intensive summer course, you'll produce a portfolio of work that can be used to apply for further study at university level. The course will focus on addressing spatial, interior and exterior spaces, and ideas about built environments. The aim is to develop techniques and improve skills in both observed and experimental drawings.
The course includes:
- an introduction to studying architecture, interior, spatial, urban and three-dimensional design at university level with a brief introduction to foundation and BA courses in the UK (examples will be given of different design and architectural courses, studio culture and qualifications to be gained at undergraduate level)
- an introduction to example portfolios
- drawing and observational skills – using different methods and materials
- sketching and drawing from life
- a half-day visit to a London museum/collection (such as the Design Museum, the Building Centre or the Soane Museum (the venue is to be confirmed and depends on exhibitions and opening times)
- drawing to scale (one day will be dedicated to understanding the basic principles of drawing to scale and understanding proportion)
- drawing in 3D and awareness of perspective
- portfolio presentation, mounting and laying out work in a portfolio
This course is appropriate for school and college-level students and is structured for 16 to 18-year-olds. It will also support those preparing their AS or A level portfolios who have a specific interest in architectural, interior and three-dimensional design. This course does not require prior knowledge of architecture or design but basic skills in drawing and observation would be useful.
"I feel the course really helped give me an advantage with my university portfolio."
"It helped me to gain a better understanding of what the architecture degree would consist of."
"This course taught me how to draw quicker and gave me the confidence to sketch in public."
"This course exceeded my expectations – the level of detail was very good."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Day and time||Monday to Friday, 10am-5pm|
|Maximum class size||15|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there may be additional charges for materials.
We would advise you equip yourself with the following:
- A4 or A3 sketch book
- set of drawing pencils, rubber and pencil sharpener
- ruler and a scale ruler
- all-purpose glue (eg UHU) and a glue stick
- assorted coloured pencils and coloured pens
- Basic set of charcoal sticks or chalks
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.