Overlocking (short course)
Why study this course?
This one-day course is intended to take away the mystery associated with the overlocker and reveal the capabilities of this machine. Learn how to thread and use a four-thread overlocker for both furnishing and dressmaking articles, maintain and troubleshoot any problems. The course is taught by London College of Furniture trained tutor Maggi Loughran, who runs a bespoke interiors company and has produced work for Chatsworth House, Oxford Library and even Cinderella's coach in Euro Disney.
This short course aims to provide you with the practical skills to use your overlocking machine confidently and appropriately, so you'll be able to tackle projects successfully. Whether you want to neaten your edges professionally or work more with stretchy knitted fabrics such as jersey and dancewear, this course will explain the versatility of overlockers and give you the confidence and skills to get the most out of this machine.
Overlocking topics covered include:
- neatening of raw edges professionally
- use of accessories
- differential feed
- troubleshooting and maintenance
Students working within the fields of upholstery, soft furnishing, textiles and fashion would benefit from attending this course.
"I found the course and tutor very helpful. It was useful to get my head around my new machine and have a practice with different stitches and fabrics."
"Excellent teacher with subject knowledge and endless patience."
"Maggi was extremely helpful both before the course and on the day, and generous with her insights and advice. I came away confident and enthusiastic about using my machine."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Day and time||Thursday, 10.30am to 4.30pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
You will be required to bring:
- a notepad and pen
We have a number of overlockers for students to use, should you wish to bring your own please email us with details of the make and model of your machine. It should be in good working order.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.