Loose Cover Cutting (short course)
Why study this course?
This course is a great way for those interested in upholstery and soft furnishings to learn some new techniques on how to make loose chair covers that fit neatly over existing upholstery. We'll teach you how to expertly measure, plan, cut and make up the cover adding piping or top stitching to add a professional finish. You'll be taught by London College of Furniture trained tutor Maggi Loughran, who runs a bespoke interiors company and has produced work for Chatsworth House, Oxford Library and even Cinderella's coach in Euro Disney.
Practical demonstrations will run throughout the programme and you will have the opportunity to discuss any queries arising from the course with the tutor and with peers during this time.
The course aims to provide you with the practical and theoretical knowledge required to undertake loose cover projects successfully covering a wide range of processes including:
- choosing suitable chairs
- fabric selection
- measuring and estimating
- preparing a cutting plan
- cutting out
- fitting to form
- machining and overlocking
- making up and fitting of skirt or tie under
This course is suitable for current practitioners in the field of furnishings. Sewing machine skills are required for this course.
Students are advised that they should be confident on the sewing machine with some textile skills in order to attend this course.
"I loved the course. Maggi is a great tutor. Very knowledgeable and excellent at explaining each stage of the process."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One day a week for six sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11amm to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there may be additional charges for materials.
Items to bring:
- notebook and pen
- very sharp scissors
- soft tape measure
- white dressmaking chalk or marker
- small ruler
- calico or fabric for the chair – tutor can advise by email before the start of course
- piping cord – tutor will advise on the first day
- one metre of furnishing lining for the skirt – tutor will advise on the first day
Students must have a chair to work with on the first day and can contact the tutor for advice on suitable chairs and fabrics (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note any box cushions on the chair will not be covered during this course. However we offer a short course on box cushions.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.