Leather Belt Making (short course)
Why study this course?
This three-session course will introduce you to the craft of belt making as well as giving you an understanding of leathers and tools.
The Leather Belt Making short course is a workshop-based course that will introduce you to the skills used in bridlework. It is suitable for anyone with little or no experience of leatherwork, and during the course you'll be taught leatherworking skills, and you'll be able to make a leather belt which can be of varying design.
You'll learn how to cut a leather strap accurately and use decorative tooling, hand dyeing and finishing. You'll also understand about belt hardware and how it is fitted. Small class sizes and plenty of hands-on opportunities mean that most students come away with two belts and will have practised a variety of techniques with emphasis on hands-on application such as:
- cutting leather straps
- bevelling leather
- burnishing and creasing cut edges
- skiving leather
- edge staining
- saddle stitch
- hand stitching
- machine sewing
- punching holes ready for buckles
- making and fitting keepers
- finishing and polishing
This leather belt making short course is hands-on, and advice and guidance is available throughout using a variety of teaching methods including demonstration, instructions, one-to-one tutorial guidance, group discussions and critiques.
By the end of the course, you'll have learnt:
- about different types of leathers and their different uses
- about various tools, materials and techniques
- how to cut and hole punch vegetable tanned leather
- how to hand stitch and machine sew leather
- how to personalise or pattern leather by stamping and carving
- how to apply professional edge finishing and polishing using leather dyes for edges and cover
Read more about course tutor Franco Marinelli.
The course is suited to those with little or no experience and for those with an interest in working with leather. This is a practical course so requires a degree of manual dexterity.
"A very good course, well taught..."
|Course dates||31 July to 2 August 2017|
|Day and time||Monday to Wednesday, 10am to 4pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fees, there is a charge for materials of up to £15.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.