Lampshades (short course)
Why study this course?
Learn how to make beautiful soft lampshades with hand-crafted trimmings. This three-day course guides you through the processes involved in producing both contemporary and traditional lined covers.
We will take you through the steps of choosing suitable fabrics, frame preparation and binding, plus fitting and application of the cover and lining.
Hand-crafted trimmings will be demonstrated and you may choose to make your own trimming or use a shop-bought piece. You'll complete a curved empire lampshade and a set of technical notes by the end of the course.
This course is suitable for individuals with no prior experience in lampshade making but who have basic hand sewing and machine skills.
"Angela Constantinou, the course tutor, was fantastic. Knowledgable, meticulous and generous with all her skills and tips. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment."
"I was extremely satisfied with the three-day course. The tutor, Angela, was an amazing teacher, which made the days fly by and we had a lot of fun learning."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Day and time||Wednesday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
A lampshade frame is included in the course fees.
Please bring the following items with you:
- pen and notepad – comprehensive notes will be given out but you may wish to make additional notes
- 0.75 metres of appropriate fabric (dress weight such as poplin, cotton, silk dupion, light linens, nothing with a print over 5 cm) and 0.5 metres of a lining (such as silk satin, cotton, silk doupion, linen)
- matching thread
- 25mm length dressmaker pins
- Sharps sewing needles (size 7)
- embroidery scissors
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.