Introduction to Weaving (short course)
Why study this course?
This course will give you a solid introduction to the beauty of weaving, from start to finish. You'll have the opportunity to work in our outstanding facilities, select appropriate yarns and work towards a finished product.
We'll introduce you to a loom and the equipment that supports its use for weaving. Starting with yarn selection followed by warp making, you'll learn basic weave structures all the way through to finishing techniques. You'll finish the course with a collection of fabric samples, designed and woven with your own hands.
- looking at your visual research and selecting appropriate yarns before making warps.
- loom dressing – getting your warps onto a loom and threading.
- basic weave structures.
- personalising the weave structures.
- complete weaving and finishing techniques.
By the end of the course, you will:
- understand how a woven structure is created
- have a vocabulary of weaving terminology
- understand how different yarns react to one another
- know how to dress a loom
- know how to weave
Techniques taught include:
- yarn selection
- warp design and making
- loom dressing
- woven structures – weaving
- finishing techniques
This course is suitable for beginners who want to improve their knowledge of weaving.
|Course dates||25 October to 12 December 2017|
|Length||One evening a week for eight sessions|
|Day and time||Wednesday, 5.30pm to 8.30pm|
|Maximum class size||8|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
Materials are included but you may wish to purchase your own yarn and sketchbook.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.