Introduction to the Sewing Machine (short course)
Why study this course?
A perfect course to introduce you to the sewing machine and all it offers.
This is a confidence boosting, two-session course, teaching a variety of sewing machine skills and allowing you to make a simple item to take home.
The course will guide you through a variety of exercises using a number of machine accessories and teach you:
- the various parts of the machine and their use
- how to set up and use the machine
- how to use a variety of accessories to create pattern
- how to join fabric creating a number of seams used both in furnishing and dressmaking
- machine troubleshooting
- machine maintenance
- how to create a simple pyramid pouch with a zip, adding your chosen decoration of stitch
You will leave with a comprehensive set of samples and a technical log.
This course is suitable for those with little or no experience and for anyone wanting to improve their machine knowledge and skills.
Participants may wish to continue in the textiles area choosing from a variety of stitch, interior furnishing, clothes making or undergraduate courses on offer.
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One evening a week for two sessions|
|Day and time||Thursday, 5.30pm to 8.30pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
You will be provided with a Bernina domestic machine to use for the two days.
- sharp scissors
- you can provide your own material for the pyramid pouch (quarter metre of cotton or similar fabric)
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.