Introduction to Screen Printing (short course)
Why study this course?
This is a screen printing course for curious beginners. During the course you will explore the different techniques of screen printing from preparing a screen all the way through to the finished print. This course will focus on hand-created positives. No digital skills are needed, only an open, creative and curious mind ready to dive into the beauty of screen printing.
You will learn to create printed editions using a variety of techniques. This course aims to experiment and explore the process of screen printing with a focus on hand-created positives and you will be guided through the screen printing process step-by-step.
During the course, you'll learn the benefits of overlapping colours, gradient, layer, stencil-printing and registration methods. You'll also be introduced to the materials, papers and tools involved in the printing process.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- an edition of prints that have been produced using a variety of screen print techniques
- knowledge of how to create positives by using non-digital tools
- a clear understanding of screen printing
This course is taught by Indra Gersone.
The course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to screen print.
Week 1: Introduction of studio, materials, tools. History of screen printing. Looking at a varied range of screen printed samples.
Week 2: Creating positives. Preparing screens. Exposing the screens.
Week 3: Introduction of setting up the beds. Introduction of printing. Printing artwork with two layers.
Week 4: Printing artwork with learning gradient.
Week 5: Printing artwork by overlapping colours.
Week 6: Printing artwork with stencil on the screen.
"Indra was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and patient. Facilities were great and it was a great foundation course to screen printing."
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One day a week for six sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 2pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20 per cent discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20 per cent discount, please contact us before booking.
The course fee includes the cost of materials but please bring your laptop with Photoshop if possible. If you are unable to do so, please contact us.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.