Introduction to Hand-Drawn Type (short course)
Why study this course?
Hand-drawn type is a key part of current illustration and graphic design as well as having a rich history in visual arts. It is a great addition to any creative’s repertoire.
On this course you will use a variety of methods and materials to draw and create letter forms by hand. During the course you will explore different methods of using hand-drawn lettering as a means of visual communication. We will also use hand-rendered typography to create imagery and explore the work of practitioners of hand-drawn lettering both past and present.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- have an overview of contemporary and past hand-drawn type practitioners
- draw letters by hand using different approaches and materials
- create hand-drawn type which communicates specific concepts or ideas
- put together hand-drawn words to create an illustration
- work in the handcrafted type digitally
This advanced course is suitable for illustrators and designers who want to improve their hand lettering skills.
- An overview of contemporary and past hand drawn type practitioners. Different approaches of drawing letters by hand.
- Creating hand-drawn type which communicates specific concepts or ideas. Putting together hand-drawn words to create an illustration.
- Scanning and digital translation of type illustration. Manipulation of the digital file in Photoshop and Illustrator.
"It was a very inspiring course. I learnt more skills as well as building my confidence in an area I wanted to become better at. Thanks Alice!"
|Course dates||3 to 31 May 2018|
|Length||One day a week for five sessions|
|Day and time||Thursday, 5.30pm to 8.30pm|
|Maximum class size||14|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
The course fee includes the cost of materials.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.