InDesign for Photographers (short course)
Why study this course?
InDesign is the industry standard tool among photographers to create products for print and — with Creative Cloud — web and mobile devices. This introductory course is aimed at proficient photographers who want to deliver professional print products such as books and leaflets, work with text and images together and become familiar with the digital workflow for PDFs, interactive elements and web-based presentations.
This course will introduce you to InDesign layout concepts, which will then be used to work on a number of photo-based projects for print. You will learn to use text effectively, create stunning visual presentations and prepare your files for various print products such as leaflets and bound books, along with digital products such as interactive PDFs and web-based content.
If you want to see your images in print and join the explosion of photobooks, this course will give you all the skills you need to make your first beautiful publication.
By the end of the course, you'll be familiar with the concepts and workflow behind the production of printed photographic publications. You will be able to create a print-ready book file in InDesign and will be ready to explore further options.
This course is essential for competent photographers who want want to produce printed products using InDesign, the industry standard print layout application.
Introduction to InDesign and the Creative Cloud:
- preparing photographs for print (resolution, colour mode, sharpening, interpolation etc)
- basic layout considerations (margins, spreads Vs pages, page numbers)
- box types (text, picture etc)
- selecting box, selecting contents
- custom box shapes
Working with colour:
- sampling colours
- adjustments (hue, brightness, saturation)
- HEX values Vs CMYK Vs RGB
- overlays in layers with transparency
Master pages, templates and grids:
- master page objects
- inserting pages and spreads
- activating and locking master page objects in layout
- working with previews and pages palette
- tracking and updating linked objects
- working with fonts
- binding types and their margins
- preparing and collecting for output
- creating print-ready PDF
- web preview in Creative Cloud
- font considerations
- typekit and web fonts
- converting to outlines Vs vector-based live fonts
- text wrap
- font management and collecting for output
- creating character styles
- creating paragraph styles (drop caps, underline, base styles etc)
- text flow across pages
- exploring formats
- flexible layouts (horizontal/vertical rendition)
- adding interactivity (menus, buttons, slide shows etc)
- integrating with Muse
- embedding media (video, audio)
- platform considerations
- exporting web-ready HTML objects and pages
- previewing on devices
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One evening a week for 10 sessions|
|Day and time||Wednesday, 6pm to 8.30pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University Alumni Association members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
The course fee includes the cost of materials.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.