Diploma in Translation Preparatory Courses (CIoL) (short course)
Why study this course?
The course is taught entirely in distance-learning mode and is intended for candidates:
- enrolled or wishing to enrol on the Chartered Institute of Linguists' (CIOL) Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) examinations
- wishing to revise and practice their translation skills and improve their confidence in exam taking
- who have reached a high level of linguistic competence who are wishing to embark on a career in professional translation
This course intends to:
- familiarise students with the specificity of the CIOL DipTrans examination, especially in terms of types of texts and their levels of difficulty
- provide students with an opportunity to practice translation of texts used by the CIOL in recent examination papers
- provide students with constructive feedback on their translation and their overall progress
Please note: The course is based exclusively on CIOL exam practice.
This course is a preparation course for the DipTrans exam. The course structure corresponds to that of the DipTrans examination. The complete course consists of three five-week sessions, each preparing for one Unit of the DipTrans.
The course is available to candidates with a high level of linguistic competence equivalent at least to a good honours degree in languages. The Diploma in Translation is a postgraduate qualification.
The course is open to candidates enrolled on the DipTrans examinations held by the CIOL.
The course structure corresponds to that of the DipTrans examination. The complete course consists of three five-week sessions, each preparing for one unit of the DipTrans:
- Unit 1: General translation
- Unit 2: Semi-specialised translation (technology, business or literature)
- Unit 3: Semi-specialised translation (science, social science or law)
The first four weeks of each unit will be devoted to translation of specific texts and feedback on individual translations. The fifth week will be allocated to revision, giving students an opportunity to ask individual questions and address various translation problems which may have arisen during the course of the unit.
Teaching language: English and other relevant language.
How to apply
Students should contact the course leader prior to enrolment. Please email email@example.com for further information.
When to apply
Spaces are limited to 25, early booking is advised.