Designing Through 3D Sketching (short course)
Why study this course?
This course will introduce you to the role of drawing & sketching within the 3D design process and how this can act as an immediate and playful tool which can help to bridge the gap between thinking and making.
The aim of this course is to introduce you to the role of drawing & sketching within the 3D design process and how it can act as an immediate and playful tool with which to bridge the gap between thinking and making. The course will demonstrate various techniques and media used by professional designers in order to help bring your own drawings to life and give them the illusion of form, volume and space.
Across the course, you will be introduced to a variety of sketching techniques including one and two-point perspective, working with contour and cross-contour lines, translating shape into 3D form, the effects of light and shade when describing surface, use of the human figure in sketching to demonstrate proportion and ultimately drawing as a playful, open-ended design process.
- Week 1: Basics principles of one and two-point perspective (Exterior Space).
- Week 2: Translating shape into physical form (Overlap lines/ shadow).
- Week 3: Contour/ Cross-contour lines (Edges and surfaces).
- Week 4: Basic principles of one and two-point perspective (Interior Space).
- Week 5: Drawing towards design (Hybrids and combinations).
Throughout the sessions, you'll work with different drawing and sketching media so you can explore and test the characteristics of these tools as a means towards personal expression and visual communication. The emphasis is very much on learning through doing and building individual confidence in drawing as a vital methodology in the 3D design process.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to work effectively and with confidence across a variety of drawing media, as well as applying techniques with increasing skill and creativity when sketching towards spatial and three dimensional design concepts and ideas.
This course is taught by John Cash.
The course is suitable for beginners. The course is aimed at individuals who have an interest in any of the creative 3D sectors (Architecture, Interior Design, Fashion Design/ Accessories, Product/ Furniture Design, Jewellery Design, Fine Art Sculpture) and who wish to improve and develop drawing skills to help visualise their 3D thinking and design ideas.
|Course dates||24 February to 24 March 2018|
|Length||One day a week for five sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
You'll need to supply your own materials for this course. This will include a variety of drawing and sketching media plus an A4 hardback sketchbook and an A4 pad of tracing paper.
Drawing media to include:
1. Graphite pencils (2B - 6B)
2. Fine liner black ink pens
3. Brush pen
4. Tine of 12 colour pencils
5. Set of 5 Grey tone Pro-Markers (light grey to very dark)
6. Charcoal pencils (medium)
7. Battery operated eraser
8. Plus the usual 6/ 12 inch ruler, rubber and pencil sharpener
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.