Create an Editorial Illustration in a Day (short course)
Why study this course?
On this course you'll examine the discipline of editorial illustration by undertaking an editorial commission. By executing an editorial brief,you'll grapple with many of the key issues and skills of being an illustrator including self-editing and the relationship between text and image.
During this course you'll be guided through how to analyse and identify key themes of an article and explore ways of visualising these themes. You'll explore different media and select appropriate materials to execute our illustration.
Week one will include the analysis of an existing illustration, an overview of contemporary editorial illustration and analysis and breakdown of text. In the afternoon, you will work independently from the class, creating your illustrations with one-to-one guidance from the tutor.
Week two will see you give a short article to illustrate during the course of the day. One main illustration and two small images will be produced.
Your teachers on this course will be Alice Stevenson and Judit Ferencz.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- create an illustration in response to an article
- identify key visual themes in an article
- select appropriate media for an illustration
- comment on the contemporary editorial illustration industry
This course is suitable if you are a fine artist or graphic designer who is looking to move into illustration.
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One day a week for two sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||14|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
All materials are included in the cost.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.