Cisco CCNA Security (short course)
Why study this course?
This short course will help you design and implement security solutions that reduce the risk of revenue loss and vulnerability. Enrolling on this course also entitles you to the following supplementary courses free of charge: Internet of everything (IoE), Entrepreneurship and Introduction to Cyber security (IoC). This will help you develop new concepts, new career skills and expand your understanding of the latest technologies.
This 72-hour course introduces you to network security and overall security processes. As with existing courses offered by the Cisco Networking Academy, the focus of the course will combine hands-on experience, and instructor-led and e-learning for students.
There will be particular emphasis on:
- modern network security threats
- security technologies and solutions
- implementing Firewall technologies
- authentication, authorisation and accounting (AAA)
- virtual private network (VPN) implementation using routers
- implementing intrusion prevention system
Successful completion of the course will prepare you for the CompTIA Security+ exam and for further network security study. It will also prepare you to take the Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS) exam.
The IINS exam is associated with the CCNA Security certification and tests a candidate's knowledge of securing Cisco routers and switches and their associated networks. It leads to validated skills for installation, troubleshooting and monitoring of network devices to maintain integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices, and develops competency in the technologies that Cisco uses in its security infrastructure.
There are two certifications:
- Academy certification: Upon completion of the CCNA course in the Cisco Networking Academy program, you'll be awarded an academic certification.
- Industry certification: This can be taken in any Pearson VUE authorised testing centre. The cost is paid for by yourself.
Retakes of Cisco courses
The course fee covers a maximum of two assessments for any Cisco course. If you cannot pass the exam after the second attempt you must take the course again. This could mean taking the whole course again or just attempting an additional assessment. This will be decided by your instructor. A CCNA Security retake including final assessment costs £400.
Minimum knowledge prerequisite
You'll need to have passed the CCNA 1 and 2 or have equivalent experience. The course requires familiarity with the use of the internet along with some basic keyboard and office-style application skills. Our instructors reserve the right to refuse entry to the course to any candidates that don't meet the requirements for the study of CCNA Security course material.
Minimum system requirements
You're required to have a Windows-based PC or laptop with internet connection if you wish to study the material outside the University's premises.
There is a minimum English prerequisite for CCNA and CCNP courses as follows.
- IELTS TOEFL 5.5 with all components 5.0 or above 550 with 4 in TWE (Test of Written English) or 213 in the computer based test (essay rating 4) – or equivalent
For more information about how to take an IELTS exam (the preferred qualification), visit the British Council's website.
It may be possible to be exempt from formal English qualifications if:
- you have high grades in English throughout your education
- your education has been undertaken in English
3 February 2018 start:
6 October 2018
|Day and time||
Part-time: Saturdays, 9am-3pm
Payments and discounts
Payment must be made in full via eShop before the start of the course. Full payment of the fee will qualify you to a 10% discount for all four modules.
If we made an option available to you to split the payment, you are still committed to pay any outstanding fees as early as starting the second module, or when you are asked to do so. Please read our terms and conditions before proceeding with any payments. Current and former London Met degree students and staff are entitled to a 10% discount.
- Full-time courses cost £2,670 for all four modules. If paid in full, a 10% discounted price for all four modules is £2,400. When paying, please add two items to your basket in the discounted eShop. If an instalment option is available, you may pay £1,335 for two modules in the eShop. Please make sure you read and understand our terms and conditions before making any payments.
- Part-time courses cost £1,940 for all four modules. Please pay £970 for two modules in the eShop. If you are entitled to a 10% discount, then the reduced price is £870 per module in the discounted eShop. Please make sure you read and understand our terms and conditions before making any payments.
How to apply
Please apply for the short course online. Please note references are not required for Cisco courses.
Before paying you will be asked to confirm you agree to our Terms, Conditions and Entry Requirements for Cisco Courses.
When to apply
There is no official closing date for this course, but you're advised to apply as early as possible as we will only consider your application if there are places available on the course.