Box Cushions (short course)
Why study this course?
The ability to create a box cushion is a must for upholsterers and soft furnishers but can be difficult to accomplish without the right planning. Step-by-step guidance, tips and teaching will enable you to complete a cover to professional standards to complement and complete any chair.
This short course aims to address the difficulties found in making a box cushion correctly. You'll be taught how to measure, plan and prepare fabric for piecing together and will be guided through the making process. Leaving with a comprehensive set of notes, handouts and sample cover, you should be able to complete other associated projects.
The course will cover:
- measuring and estimating
- piping and top stitching
- cushion cover assembly
This course is taught by Maggi Loughran.
This course is suitable for those wishing to expand their experience into the field of soft furnishing. You should be able to use a sewing machine. The Introduction to the Sewing Machine course is available if you're not familiar with machine stitching.
|Course dates||Not currently available|
|Length||One day a week for two sessions|
|Day and time||Thursday, 10.30am to 4.30pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there may be additional charges for materials.
Please bring the following items with you:
- one metre of furnishing fabric (please request advice before the course begins if your fabric is patterned)
- tape measure
- stitch ripper
- small ruler
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.