AutoCAD Fundamentals (short course)
Why study this course?
Computer-aided design is a vital part of the construction industry. All architects, technicians and construction industry professionals are expected to have at least a basic working knowledge of CAD.
Exploring the most widely used technical drawing software, this course will introduce you to the theory and practice of digital drawing. It will equip you with a working knowledge of the software package and enable you to create and present professional technical drawings.
The course will be delivered as a series of short lectures, which will be reinforced by a variety of practical exercises. The later sessions will include a surgery for troubleshooting and support in a small group. Topics and techniques covered include:
- an introduction to the software, interface, version differences (including full AutoCAD vs AutoCAD LT)
- using co-ordinate systems
- efficient drawing – working with shortcuts and the command line
- an introduction/revision of basic drawing techniques
- drawing techniques for various scales/types of drawing – plans, sections, elevations and details
- drawing organisation and management, layering and visibility
- creating and using hatches
- using styles to manage the appearance of text, dimensions and annotations
- using blocks and groups
- plotting/printing, plot styles, managing and automating output
- an introduction to standards for working with other professionals – focusing on Architectural, Engineering and Construction (AEC) (UK) and Uniclass standards
By the end of the course, you will have the ability to:
- set up a drawing package
- produce scale 2D plans and layouts
- draw 2D details
- present and style content for printing
This course is suitable for anyone with a proficient working knowledge of technical drawing (either by hand or digitally) who wishes to learn how to produce drawings in AutoCAD. It is also suitable for professionals who are already using AutoCAD but wish to revise and expand their skills.
You will be required to have:
- existing knowledge of drawing conventions, architectural terminology and methods of working within the construction industry
- basic computer proficiency
"I was very satisfied with the course, it covered all areas I wished to learn. It was delivered at the perfect pace and the tutors were very patient and clear with each student."
"I enjoyed the course and learned a lot."
|Course dates||22 April to 13 May 2017|
|Length||One day a week for four sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||15|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
The cost of materials is included in the course fee.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.