3D Printing/Rapid Prototyping (short course)
Why study this course?
This course is aimed at anyone with prior knowledge of 3D modelling who would like to take their designs further and in to the world of 3D printing.
Throughout the course you will gain knowledge about the requirements creating 3D content for the different systems on the market and their specific design requirements for production.
You will gain an overview of the history of 3D printing and current and upcoming trends.
You will have the opportunity to develop a design of your choice for production on one of our Rapid-Prototyping machines. This will consist of one smaller first prototype and a larger final model. We can offer SLS (Selective Laser Sintering), Z Corp 3D printing, Envisiontec 3D printing and Makerbot 3D printers. We will also cover alternative approaches to content creation, such as 3D scanning.
We offer support for 3D Studio Max or Rhino in our CAD suite to develop your model for 3D printing. Please note that you can use a software of your own choice, however you will have to bring your own suitable laptop and this may affect the support we can offer.
Please note that this course will not teach 3D modelling Software, but includes tips and tricks on how to prepare and optimize your files for 3D printing.
Topics covered on this course:
- Introduction to 3D printing technologies
- Overview of software used to create 3D models for 3D Printing
- How to create valid 3D models for 3D printing and export options
- Overview of 3D scanning technologies
- 3D file fixing, verification and software
- Live hinges and other click fit
- Produce your own 3D model choosing from one of four technologies (Envisiontec Perfactory, Z corp, SLS, Makerbot)
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- create 3D models suitable for 3D printing and understand the requirements (tolerances, properties of real world objects) of different machines in use
- produce your own creation on either one or two different 3D printers
This course is taught by Anatol Just.
This course is suitable for designers, artists, fashion professionals, freelance engineers, students, hobbyists, sculptors, model makers and entrepreneurs. Please note that this course will not teach 3D modelling software, but includes tips and tricks on how to prepare and optimize your files for 3D printing. Knowledge of the use of 3D modelling software is required.
The course will be taught based on the following structure:
- Introduction to 3D printing technologies, history and methodology
- Setting personal design outcomes for student’s personal project
- Lessons usually start with theoretical and also practical aspects to 3D printing. The remaining time will be used for one-to-one support for personal projects
"In my opinion the course was perfect. I learnt a lot of new things."
|Course Dates||9 January to 13 March 2018|
|Length||One evening for ten sessions|
|Day and time||Tuesday, 6pm to 8.30pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- those whose sole or main income is a Department of Social Security (DSS) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
The course fee includes two 3D printed models (one of 50mm x 50mm x 50mm and one of 100mm x 100mm x 100mm)
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
To book on to one of our short courses, click the apply button to visit our eShop.
When to apply
Please note, the deadline to book a place on one of our short courses is one week before the start date. If you have missed the deadline, please get in touch and we will do our best to accommodate you.