Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) (English Law)
The course runs from October 2013 to May 2014
|Location||City Campus, 84 Moorgate, London EC2M 6SQ|
|Faculty||Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities|
|Study Level||Short Course|
|Course Length||October 2013 - May 2014|
|Attendance types||Full Time|
|Full time cost||
UK and EU students: £1620 (includes a 10% discount) if paid in full by 16 September 2013.
|Part time cost|
In the last five years the course has been available in the following languages:
Arabic, Czech, Farsi/Dari, French, Hausa, Italian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian and European), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish
If your language is not listed, please contact us. However, please note that new language pathways can only be opened for a minimum of 3 students.
English is the main teaching language. Language-specific tutorials are delivered in the respective languages.
Who is it for?
This course is for dedicated students who are committed to developing professional skills to embrace their new career as a public service interpreter.
No previous experience in interpreting is required.
This course is for students with an awareness and understanding of multicultural environments.
- English and one other language
- Native proficiency in the mother tongue
- Near-native proficiency in the second language
- If English is not your mother tongue: a very good command of English (IELTS 6.5 or TEOFL 267 minimum)
- Very clear pronunciation and elocution
- Students who demonstrate the appropriate entry criteria on their application form will be invited for an aptitude entry test
What is the aptitude test?
- Translation from English into the Other Language
- Consecutive interpreting from English into the Other Language
- Presentation in English
- Interview with the admissions tutor
10 am – 3 pm every other Friday
Morning sessions will be dedicated to learning interpreting skills applied to a specific legal setting.
The sessions are interactive with the use of multimedia facilities.
Afternoon sessions will be dedicated to language specific tutorials.
Homework is set every session. Students will be able to use the London Metropolitan University’s virtual platform to access teaching materials, exchange on forums and discussion, and be kept up to date with their tutors.
Students will develop the required skills to work as professional Public Service Interpreters in the legal field:
- Consecutive interpreting (in and out of English)
- Simultaneous interpreting (whispering into English and out of English)
- Sight translation (in and out of English)
- Written translation (in and out of English)
- Students will also learn about the professional legal settings applying to the DPSI English Law option (Immigration, Police, Courts)
London Metropolitan University furthr offers a wide range of interpreting courses:
We were the first university in England to develop the MA in Public Service Interpreting (Health and Legal), demonstrating our expertise in this specific field.
Students from the DPSI will be offered the same extra curricular activities as the postgraduate interpreting students (virtual learning platform, visits, guest speakers, events) at no extra cost.
Excellent facilities with digital recording facilities, filming opportunities, library and online resources.
A dedicated team of lecturers with experience in interpreting and pedagogy applied to the DPSI.
Easy access (next to Moorgate Tube station in the City).
Click on the link here and fill the application form and send it to us. Places are limited. We advise you to apply as soon as possible:
DPSI English Law Application 2013/14
10 % discount if course fee is paid in full by 16 September 2013
Payment can also be made by two instalments of £900:
- first instalment to be paid by 16 September 2013
- second instalment to be paid by 31 January 2014)