Funding your studies
Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme
Are you leaving local authority care (a Care Leaver), or are you estranged from both of your parents (where you haven't had verbal/written contact for a significant time)? You might be eligible for the Unite Foundation Scholarship, which could provide you with three years of free accommodation while you take your undergraduate degree at London Metropolitan University.
London Met has been chosen as one of only 28 universities whose students are able to apply for this scheme, and 70 scholarships are still available in the 2017 academic year, though you need to be quick – applications close on Tuesday 30 May 2017.
If you are successful in your application, benefits include:
- Three years of free accommodation in a Unite Students property. This comprises a single, en suite room in a purpose-built, fully furnished student flat with a communal fitted kitchen. These flats include all household bills and have Wi-Fi throughout.
- For each year you take up this free accommodation offer, your room will be available for the full calendar year (365 days).
- You will not require a rent guarantor, a deposit or any rent payments.
- The Unite Foundation may also offer you other opportunities through sponsors, such as work placement opportunities, mentoring or other activities that can help you make the most of your university experience.
In order to meet the criteria, you must be either:
- a Care Leaver and have a letter confirming your status from your local authority; or
- estranged from both parents and are working with the University or the charity Stand Alone to confirm your status
In addition, you must also be:
- a UK home fee status student
- aged 25 or under when you enrol at London Met
- undertaking your first and only course of undergraduate study (ie you have not been to this or another university previously)
- You must have had an offer to study at London Met
- You must have already applied for student finance and ticked 'consent to share'.
Restrictions and exemptions
The 2017 scholarship is only available for undergraduate students, and excludes particular years of study including foundation years, postgraduate years, resit or repeat years. Those who are 26 or older at the point of enrolment are also not eligible for this award. Please read the guidance notes for more information.
The Unite Foundation are looking to provide scholarships to represent a wide range of university courses and academic abilities among care leaver and estranged student populations, with all applications being treated equally under the Equality Act. Please note however there is still an element of chance in your application being successful. Please read the Unite Foundation Scholarship guidance notes for applicants.
How to apply
To apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme, you need to:
- download and complete the application form
- send your completed application form to email@example.com by Tuesday 30 May 2017
- London Met must support / validate your application for it to be accepted by the Unite Foundation.
If you have any questions about your eligibility or are having difficulty applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 7133 2094.
When will I hear?
Applications are checked by the Unite Foundation board in June, and will inform applicants in July 2017.
Where can I get more information and help with my application?
London Met is holding a drop-in event on Friday 24 May 2017 for any applicants who would like to chat to our advisors about your application and to learn more about the University's own support packages for care leavers and estranged students. To book your place, please contact Neil Parsons at email@example.com.
If you have any other enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call London Met's Advice, Information and Funding Service on 020 7133 2094. You can also find additional information on the Unite Foundation website.
What if I missed the deadline for 2017 but want to find out more for 2018?
We understand that there is a very short deadline this year, but if you think you are eligible and wish to apply for the 2018/19 year, then please register your interest at email@example.com.