Advice and well-being

Disabilities and Dyslexia Service

Who we are

The Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers advice, information and support for students with a disability, a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD – such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia), students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, blind or partially sighted, those with chronic long-term health conditions and students with mental health difficulties.

What we provide

  • bespoke, informed, professional guidance and ongoing advice for students and prospective students with a range of disabilities, SpLDs and medical conditions
  • screenings and advice to students wishing to investigate whether they may have a SpLD
  • recommendations for reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act (2010), in order to ensure that students are enabled to participate as fully as possible in the academic and social life of the university (This can include adjustments to arrangements for teaching, examinations, the physical environment and methods of communication)
  • assistance with setting up non-medical help (such as note-takers, campus support, mentors, interpreters and SpLD one-to-one support)
  • advice and guidance on the funding available to disabled students (such as the Disabled Students' Allowance and funding for disabled EU and international students)
  • tailored training, advice and guidance for staff supporting disabled students

Discussing your needs

London Met makes anticipatory adjustments where possible (eg in course design and by improving access to buildings) but we understand that everyone’s needs are different. Therefore once you've received your offer of a place you should register with DDS as soon as possible to help us ensure we've got all the support you might require for the start of your course.

We need you to provide medical evidence of your condition in order for us to assess the appropriate support. All evidence must be in written English or transcribed by a certified transcription service and authenticated as such.

Type of disability Evidence needed
Disabled, Deaf, hard-of-hearing, blind, partially sighted students and those with a chronic long-term health/mental-health condition A recent (no more than three months old) report or letter from your GP, consultant or other qualified specialist. It should state: any diagnosis, how long you have had it and when you were diagnosed, and any treatment or support you're currently receiving. If you are likely to require special examination arrangements, the medical letter must state what they should be (eg extra time, rest breaks etc) and why this is required.
Specific Learning Difference (eg dyslexia or dyspraxia) A report, produced since you were age 16, from either a chartered or practitioner psychologist or a specialist tutor holding a Patoss/Dyslexia Action practising certificate.

The Disabled Students' Allowance and other funding

Student Finance England's Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) can help to pay for the extra costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability, Specific Learning Difference, chronic long-term health condition or mental health difficulty. DSAs are paid on top of your Student Finance and do not have to be repaid. The allowance can help with the cost of having a person to support you, such as a note-taker or specialist tutor, items of specialist equipment, travel and other course-related costs. Most full-time and part-time students who satisfy the eligibility criteria for obtaining home-status funding from Student Finance England should be eligible to apply for DSA. Home-status postgraduate students may also be eligible. You should apply for this as soon as possible and you can apply for this before you start your course

For students who are not eligible for the DSA, such as international students, please contact us when you are thinking of applying to London Met so we can discuss possible sources of disability-related funding.

Contact details

If you have any questions about how the Disabilities and Dyslexia Service can support you, and to discuss what support you may need at university, please contact us using the details below:

Our offices

Learning Centre (Holloway Road)
236-250 Holloway Road
N7 6PP

Tel: 020 7133 2188

Calcutta House (Aldgate)
Old Castle Street, London, E1 7NT
Tel: 020 7320 2370


For more information you can also visit the Student Zone.

Watch our video