National Art and Design Saturday Club
National Art and Design Saturday Club (photo credits: Kit Oates / Sorrell Foundation)
The National Art and Design Saturday Club gives young people aged 13 to 16 years old (in years 9 to 11) the unique opportunity to study art and design every Saturday morning at their local college or university for free.
The programme, funded by the Sorrell Foundation, offers 30 weeks of inspiring classes to students over the academic year, introducing a range of different disciplines such as painting, drawing, performance design, model making, creating environments and creatures, mural and scenic painting, costume and character drawing and digital design.
Club members also visit some of London’s best museums and galleries, and exhibit their work in their own summer show at Somerset House, London. They are also given the opportunity to attend a masterclass with some of the UK’s foremost designers or artists. Recent guest workshops include:
- food sculpture and landscapes with cake artist Connie Viney (spring 2017)
- theatre, costume and props design with the English National Opera for their community performance Millions of Years (spring 2016) and in response to The Winter's Tale (spring 2017)
- metalwork with designer Simone ten Hompel (autumn 2015)
- typefaces with artist Bob and Roberta Smith (spring 2015)
- puppet making masterclass with the National Theatre's War Horse puppet designers (spring 2015)
At London Met, classes are taught at the Sir John Cass School of Art, Architecture and Design and led by theatre designer and academic Ian Teague alongside our student ambassadors.
How to apply:
Applications are now open for our 2017-18 class. Anyone aged 13-16 is welcome to apply. All we ask is for an enthusiasm for art and design, however priority will also be given to students who meet any of the following criteria:
- neither parent attended university
- you are/have been in local authority care
- you are a young adult carer
- you have been eligible for free school meals during your secondary education
If you're interested in joining our 2017/18 class or have any questions please contact Liz Routhorn, Widening Participation Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7133 4175.