Honorary doctorates and masters
Honorary awards of London Metropolitan University
The University welcomes nominations from current students, staff, alumni and Governors for the conferral of honorary awards. Nominations are sought annually. Valid nominations are considered by the University’s Governance Committee, which makes recommendations to the Board of Governors for the approval of awards.
The University’s Board Regulations provide for two types of honorary awards:
- Honorary doctorates, which may be conferred on those who have made outstanding contributions to particular fields of academic or professional endeavour
- Honorary masters, which may be conferred on those who have made distinguished contributions to particular fields of academic or professional endeavour
Nominees are assessed by the Governance Committee against the following criteria:
- They must demonstrate the very highest national or international distinction in their chosen field in academic and/or public life
- There must be clear potential for them to develop a lasting relationship with the University
- Their achievements must relate in some way to the work or values of the University
- Individuals who have given exceptional service to the University over an extended period of time may also be considered
Honorary awards to successful nominees are normally conferred at the University’s graduation ceremonies.
Nominations for honorary awards 2018/19
We will be opening the nominations for the conferral of honorary awards in summer 2018, with further updates on the process due to be disclosed in the coming months.
Questions relating to the nominations process should be directed to Sharon Page, Interim University Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org.