Honorary doctorates and masters
Honorary awards of London Metropolitan University
The University welcomes nominations from current students, staff, alumni and Governors for the conferral of honorary awards. Nominations are sought annually. Valid nominations are considered by the University’s Governance Committee, which makes recommendations to the Board of Governors for the approval of awards.
The University’s Board Regulations provide for two types of honorary awards:
- Honorary doctorates, which may be conferred on those who have made outstanding contributions to particular fields of academic or professional endeavour
- Honorary Masters, which may be conferred on those who have made distinguished contributions to particular fields of academic or professional endeavour
Nominees are assessed by the Governance Committee against the following criteria:
- They must demonstrate the very highest national or international distinction in their chosen field in academic and/or public life
- There must be clear potential for them to develop a lasting relationship with the University
- Their achievements must relate in some way to the work or values of the University
- Individuals who have given exceptional service to the University over an extended period of time may also be considered
Honorary awards to successful nominees are normally conferred at the University’s graduation ceremonies.
Nominations for honorary awards 2017/18
Nominations are now open for the conferral of honorary awards in 2017. Nominations are invited from current students, current staff, alumni and members of the Board of Governors.
Nominations should be submitted by Friday 20 October 2017 using the University's nomination form.
Please provide as much information about the nominee as possible. Completed nominations and supporting material should be emailed to the University Secretary’s Office: email@example.com.
Only nominations submitted by the deadline using the University’s nomination form will be accepted. Self-nominations are not permitted. All nominations will be treated as strictly confidential.
Questions relating to the nominations process should be directed to Peter Garrod, University Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org.