Advice and well-being: funding and accommodation

Funding and accommodation

Where to get advice and information on funding and accommodation

London Met's Student Money and Accommodation Advice team provides confidential, face-to-face drop-in sessions and appointments on a range of issues including undergraduate and postgraduate funding for Home and EU students, and student halls and private rented accommodation. We offer support with making your funding application to Student Finance England or its non-UK team and advice and help with resolving any difficulties you might have with Student Finance England. We also provide funding advice if you are considering changing, suspending, or leaving your course and can support you in liaising with other University teams, for example, the Student Fees Office and the Income Section.

We are available for drop-ins and appointments Monday to Friday, at various times at Holloway Road Learning Centre and Aldgate, and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Moorgate Hub. To start searching for accommodation, please visit our student pad.

The University is accredited by the matrix Standard, ensuring the advice and guidance you'll receive is of the high-quality necessary for you to make informed decisions.

Funding tips

  • Please be aware of phishing scams – don't respond to emails requesting your Student Finance England login details.
  • Living in London can be expensive. See if you can find a summer job and put some savings aside to meet your university start-up costs.
  • If you wish to apply for the full undergraduate support package, make sure you have answered the questions relating to income.
  • If you are required to send anything to Student Finance Services by post, send it using Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery. This improves security and, in the event of loss, gives you proof of postage.
  • If you have previously studied at Higher Education (HE) level, you may find you are not entitled to funding, or that you have a reduced entitlement, so you may have to pay the university fees yourself.
  • Please be aware that one day of attendance on an HE level course counts as one year of funding entitlement, so if you attend an HE level course even for a single day, you will have used up one year of your funding allowance.
  • Think about starting a Budget planner.
  • Remember that you need to plan for the whole year and there is a long gap between April and September student finance payments.
  • If you are a single student living away from home, the typical maximum maintenance loan awarded by Student Finance England works out at about £211 per week over 52 weeks of the year. This will need to cover all your weekly living expenses – food, accommodation, travel, books, etc.
  • Look at other ways to boost your income, eg reclaim overpaid tax; council tax exemption for full-time students; Oyster/National Rail student discounts.‌



Contact details

For further information on funding and accommodation, please contact the University's Student Money and Accommodation Advice team which is based in Student Services, or use the contact details below:

Our offices

Learning Centre (Holloway Road)
236-250 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PP
Tel: +44 (0)20 7133 7001

Calcutta House (Aldgate)
Old Castle Street, London, E1 7NT
Tel: +44 (0)20 7133 7002