Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS)

The London Met Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers advice, information and support for students with a disability, a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD, such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia), students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, blind or partially sighted students, students with chronic long-term health conditions and students with mental health difficulties.

Contact us

020 7133 2188


Watch our video

What we provide

  • bespoke, informed, professional guidance and ongoing advice for students and prospective students with a range of disabilities, Specific Learning Differences (SpLDs) and medical conditions
  • screenings and advice to students wishing to investigate whether they may have a SpLD
  • referral for a diagnostic assessment where appropriate
  • recommendations for reasonable adjustments in line with the Equality Act (2010) in order to ensure that students are enabled to participate as fully as possible in the academic and social life of the University. This can include adjustments to arrangements for teaching, examinations, the physical environment and methods of communication
  • assistance with setting up non-medical help (such as note-takers, campus support, mentors, interpreters and SpLD one-to-one support)
  • advice and guidance on the funding available to disabled students (such as the Disabled Students' Allowance and funding for disabled EU and international students)
  • tailored training, advice and guidance for staff supporting disabled students

Discussing your needs

London Met makes anticipatory adjustments where possible (eg in course design and by improving access to buildings) but we understand that everyone’s needs are different. Therefore once you've received your offer of a place you should register with the Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) as soon as possible to help us ensure we've got all the support you might require for the start of your course.

We need you to provide medical evidence of your condition in order for us to assess the appropriate support. All evidence must be in written English or transcribed by a certified transcription service and authenticated as such.

Disability Evidence needed
Physical disabilities, Deaf or hard-of-hearing students, blind or partially sighted students, and students with a chronic long-term health/mental-health condition A recent (no more than 12 months old) report or letter from your GP, consultant or other qualified specialist. It should state the diagnosis, how long you have had the disability, when you were diagnosed and any treatment or support you're currently receiving. If you're likely to require special examination arrangements, the medical letter must state what they should be (eg extra time, rest breaks etc) and why this is required.
Specific Learning Differences (eg Dyslexia or Dyspraxia) A report, produced since you were aged 16, from either a chartered or practitioner psychologist or a specialist tutor holding a Professional Association of Teachers of Students with SpLDs (Patoss) or Dyslexia Action practising certificate.


Information relating to physical or mental health constitutes sensitive personal data. Under the Data Protection Act (1998), explicit permission from the data subject (ie the student) must be sought before this type of information is passed on to a third party unless there is a legal obligation to provide the information.

Please contact one of our disability advisers if you have any questions concerning the data we keep, or the terms of the Data Protection Act. Please note that we will not speak to your parents/legal guardian about you without your express permission.

Who will you share my information with?

The Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) may need to disclose information about your disability with certain people in order to help support you. This information will only be shared where necessary and on a need-to-know basis. We define need-to-know as sharing sufficient information to help set up support and only with people involved in that process. We always ask that the people with whom we share your information respect your confidentiality and don't pass your information on to anyone else unless they are also involved in your support.

Those with whom the DDS may share your information can include (but is not strictly limited to) your Diversity Coordinators, Personal Academic Tutors, the Examinations Office, your school, the Examinations Office and funding body. DDS may also share student data with other university departments such as the careers service, for recruitment, statistics, and monitoring purposes.

DDS may also need to request and/or share further information about your additional support needs from individuals and/or agencies outside of the University such as your GP, consultant, mental health support team, educational psychologist, previous education provider or funding body (eg Student Finance England) where appropriate. This is in order to ensure we're able to support you whilst studying at university. We respect your confidentiality and assure you that any information shared will be handled in a sensitive and discreet manner.

Disabled Students' Allowances

The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) from Student Finance England can help you pay for the extra costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability, Specific Learning Difference, chronic long-term health condition or mental health difficulty. DSAs are paid on top of your student finance and don't have to be repaid. The allowance can help with the cost of having a person to support you, such as a note-taker or specialist tutor, items of specialist equipment, travel and other course-related costs. DSAs cover the cost of specialist equipment and support and don't have to be repaid. They are non-means-tested and will be in addition to your student finance. Most full-time and part-time students who satisfy the eligibility criteria for obtaining home-status funding from Student Finance England should be eligible to apply for DSA. Home-status postgraduate students may also be eligible. You should apply for this as soon as possible and you can apply for this before you start your course.

Applying for Disabled Students' Allowances

You should apply for this as soon as possible and you can apply for this before you start your course. You'll need to complete an application form and send this to the relevant funding body along with the appropriate evidence confirming your disability. They will then reply to confirm whether you're eligible. If you're eligible you'll need to have a needs assessment at an access centre. We have an assessment centre located on site. For further details of the on-site assessment centre or to book a needs assessment at the centre please visit the Contact Associates website. A Needs Assessment Report will then be sent to your funding body with recommendations for your support. You will then receive a letter confirming the details of the support. Once you receive this you can order equipment and organise specialist support.

For students who aren't eligible for the DSA, such as international students, please contact us when you're thinking of applying to London Met so we can discuss possible sources of disability-related funding with you.

Funding bodies

For specific information for your particular funding body, please follow the links below:

Booking an appointment

To make an appointment please call us on 020 7133 2188 or email dds.studentservices@londonmet.ac.uk.  You can also make an appointment through the Hubs.

Where can you meet an adviser?

We have appointments from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, at the following locations:

  • Learning Centre, second floor, Holloway Road
  • Calcutta House, Old Castle Street

Student and staff information

Further information about the DDS is available on our dedicated web pages (login required):